Once you register for Philanthropy 101: Speaking the Same Language, you will automatically be registered for the remaining modules:
- September 18 - Speaking the Same Language
- October 23 - So You're Working for a Foundation... Power and Your New Community
- November 13 - Foundation Governance and Legal Issues
- November 20 - Fundamentals of Grantmaking
- December 11 - The Great Debates in Philanthropy
So You're Working for a Foundation... Power and Your New Community
So you are working for a foundation. While the other parts of this series provide an overview of the history of philanthropy, a foundation's leadership and governance, a high-level overview of grantmaking at foundations, and the philanthropic topics of the century, this module helps you to explore the various roles within philanthropy.
People are drawn to the field of philanthropy to make a difference. While philanthropic organizations may have a broader commitment to strategy, many individuals may lack an explicit strategy for effectiveness, without an awareness of ambiguous situations, unusual dynamics and the challenges they may encounter that require a sense of personal strategy. Come hear from seasoned foundation professionals who will share how they have developed their own strategies to navigate their personal and professional journeys.
Upon completing this module, participants will be able to:
- Discuss the role(s) they play in their new organization
- Examine their role(s), professional relationships and power dynamics
- Describe the broader philanthropic infrastructure
- Explain peer networking as part of the work
- cori schmanke parrish, Deputy Director, North Star Fund
- Prachi Patankar, Program Officer, Foundation for a Just Society
Anyone who has joined the philanthropic sector within the last 12-18 months; open to the entire range of disciplines with the field, e.g., Assistant to the President, Program Officer, Chief Financial Officer, Controller, Human Services Director, Trustee, among others. This is a cohort-based program. The five modules will build on each other, and participants are expected to commit to attending all five. What to expect: presentation blended with breakout discussions.
10:00 AM - 12:00 PM Program
Registration is required by September 17th. Registrants will receive the webinar link a day prior to the program.
Members: To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and go to the Philanthropy 101: Speaking the Same Language page. (no fee)
** Please note that we are offering the Philanthropy 101 Series virtually in 2020. Foundations outside the New York metropolitan area can take advantage of the 2020 virtual series for a fee. For more information, please email email@example.com.**
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Please note: To ensure fairness among our members, we reserve the right to limit the number of attendees per organization for select professional development programs.