As an organization, Philanthropy New York promotes effective, strategic philanthropy and supports meaningful collaboration and knowledge-sharing for funders and their grantees. We invest in philanthropic professionals to ensure a diverse and capable group of future sector leaders, and we cultivate institutional leadership in the sector.
Our members develop relationships in the field by participating in our issue-based working groups and professional peer networks, our special collaborative initiatives, and our committees. In our 2016 member survey, respondents reported positive perceptions of PNY's networking offerings and the organization's ability to facilitate connections among members. Read the Center for Effective Philanthropy's executive summary to hear from our members.
We communicate the value of philanthropy and act as a voice on local, state and federal public policy issues that promote effective philanthropy and efficient nonprofits, and build stronger communities.
Finally, PNY provides institutional benefits to our members, including our conference facilities, fiscal sponsorships and more.
What We Don’t Do
- We don’t tell foundations how to make their grants. Although our members actively collaborate with each other, each of them makes their own policies and decisions.
- We don’t connect grantseekers and foundations.
- We don’t offer advice on how to ask foundations for funding.
How Many Ways Do You Take Advantage of Your PNY Membership?
- Regularly attend programs that will increase knowledge and skills
- Lead program panels as a speaker or moderator
- Be a program developer or initiator
- Encourage program officers and directors new to philanthropy to attend the intensive Essential Skills and Strategies 3-day training
- Encourage all staff new to philanthropy to attend Philanthropy 101
- Refresh your financial analysis skills with our extensive annual Financial Series
- Stay abreast of key legal and regulatory issues with our annual Legal Series
- Learn how to amplify your work through our Policy Core programming
- Attend PNY’s Annual Meeting — the region’s largest policy and networking event for funders
- Watch live-feed broadcasts of our more high-profile public programs
- Seek out personal introductions to other grantmakers with common interests
- Participate in the issue-based working groups run by Philanthropy New York
- Participate in the professional interest groups run by Philanthropy New York
- Serve on the Board of Directors or one of its committees
- Participate in PNY’s meetings with key government officials
- Suggest issues that PNY’s Public Policy Committee should explore, which might lead to the creation of an issue guide and/or PNY eventually taking an official position
- Submit commentary on pending policy positions being considered by PNY
- Join PNY staff in meetings with New York’s congressional delegation during Foundations on the Hill
- Get involved in special policy projects (grant-funded) that aim to increase public dialogue on issues of particular concern to the philanthropic community
- Suggest new policy working groups for issues that significant numbers of members are interested in and would benefit from more philanthropic coordination
- Submit organizational news for the New York PhilPost
- Write blog posts for the Opinions & Insights column of the PhilPost, or submit commentary on posts of other members
- Interact with @PhilanthropyNY and fellow members on Twitter and participate in “tweet team” events
- Submit your organization’s upcoming events for the PNY Community Events calendar
- Submit your organization’s research, reports and other notable writings for PNY’s resource listings
- Fiscal sponsorship of member-driven projects
- Free use of PNY conference facilities
- Salary Survey
- Family Philanthropy Online Knowledge Center
- Peer-to-peer resources
- Consultant & vendor recommendation lists
- Staff expertise — timely responses to questions on all subcategories, and access to other experts
- Job listings
- PNY Member Directory
- Common Grant Application and Grant Report
- Top line foundation data
- Access to searchable resources from partner Regional Associations across the nation
- Search by topic our listings of countless reports, PowerPoint presentations and other materials associated with programs and partner organizations
- Discounts on conferences (up to 50%!) listed on our online calendar