As an organization, Philanthropy New York promotes effective, strategic philanthropy and supports meaningful collaboration and knowledge-sharing for funders and their grantees.
We also communicate the value of philanthropy and the philanthropic sector and develop philanthropic leaders to ensure a diverse and capable future.
Our members also build connections by participating in our issue-based working groups and professional peer networks, our special collaborative initiatives, and our committees. In our 2016 member survey, respondents reported positive perceptions of PNY's networking offerings and the organization's ability to facilitate connections among members. Read the Center for Effective Philanthropy's executive summary to hear from our members.
We also act as a voice on local, state and federal public policy issues that promote effective philanthropy and efficient nonprofits, and build stronger communities.
Finally, PNY provides institutional benefits to our members, including our conference facilities, fiscal sponsorships and more.
What We Don’t Do
- We don’t tell foundations how to make their grants. Although our members actively collaborate with each other, each of them makes their own policies and decisions.
- We don’t connect grantseekers and foundations.
- We don’t offer advice on how to ask foundations for funding.
How Many Ways Do You Take Advantage of Your PNY Membership?
- Regularly attend programs that will increase knowledge and skills
- Lead program panels as a speaker or moderator
- Be a program developer or initiator
- Encourage staff new to philanthropy to attend the intensive “Essential Skills and Strategies for New Grantmakers” 3-day training
- Attend PNY’s Annual Meeting — the region’s largest policy and networking event for funders
- Watch live-feed broadcasts of our more high-profile public programs
- Serve on the Board of Directors or one of its committees
- Participate in the issue-based working groups run by Philanthropy New York
- Participate in the professional interest groups run by Philanthropy New York
- Meet and have cocktails with colleagues at the monthly Documentary Film Series
- Seek out personal introductions to other grantmakers with common interests
- Suggest issues that PNY’s Public Policy Committee should explore, which might lead to the creation of an issue guide and/or PNY eventually taking an official position
- Submit commentary on pending policy positions being considered by PNY
- Participate in PNY’s meetings with key government officials
- Join PNY staff in meetings with New York’s congressional delegation during Foundations on the Hill
- Get involved in special policy projects (grant-funded) that aim to increase public dialogue on issues of particular concern to the philanthropic community
- Suggest new policy working groups for issues that significant numbers of members are interested in and would benefit from more philanthropic coordination
- Submit organizational news for the New York PhilPost
- Write blog posts for the Opinions & Insights column of the PhilPost, or submit commentary on posts of other members
- Interact with @PhilanthropyNY and fellow members on Twitter and participate in “tweet team” events
- Submit your organization’s upcoming events for the PNY Community Events calendar
- Submit your organization’s research, reports and other notable writings for PNY’s resource listings
- Fiscal sponsorship of member-driven projects
- One-on-one consultations with PNY staff on any topic of concern to members
- Free use of PNY conference facilities
- Salary Survey
- Tax-Deferred Annuity Program
- Top-line foundation data
- Family Philanthropy Online Knowledge Center
- Peer-to-peer resources
- Consultant & vendor recommendation lists
- Staff expertise — timely responses to questions on all subcategories, and access to other experts
- Job listings
- PNY Member Directory
- Common Grant Application and Grant Report
- Access through PNY to Foundation Directory Online Professional information
- Access to searchable resources from partner Regional Associations across the nation
- Search by topic our listings of countless reports, PowerPoint presentations and other materials associated with programs and partner organizations
- Discounts on conferences (up to 50%!) listed on our online calendar