This PNY members-only program is a part of our five-module Philanthropy 101 from our PNY Core Curriculum.
Once you register for Philanthropy 101: Speaking the Same Language, you will automatically registered for the remaining modules. Below are the remaining modules:
- October 11 - So You're Working for a Foundation... Power and Your New Community
- November 1 - Foundation Governance and Legal Issues
- November 8 - Fundamentals of Grantmaking
- December 13- The Great Debates in Philanthropy
What is philanthropy and why does it exist? How does it work? Join us as we map out the nonprofit sector, giving a social and historical overview of philanthropy. This is an opportunity for those new to the sector to understand where they fit in and to see how their organization fit into the context of the sector. Attendees will also learn about key terms, types of grantmakers, trends in giving, and learn to "speak the language."
Upon completing this module, participants will be able to:
- Explain what motivates philanthropies to give and the tax code that promotes it
- Identify what foundations are and what they do
- Identify the types of grantmakers and trends in giving
- Jason McGill, Co-Executive Director, Arcus Foundation
Anyone who has joined the philanthropic sector within the last 12-18 months; open to the entire range of disciplines with the field, e.g., Assistant to the President, Program Officer, Chief Financial Officer, Controller, Human Services Director, Trustee, among others. This is a cohort-based program. The five modules will build on each other, and participants are expected to commit to attending all five.
8:30 - 9:00 AM Check-in
9:00 - 11:00 AM Program
Registration is required by September 12th.
Members: To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above. (no fee)
Please email email@example.com with any questions.
Please note: To ensure fairness among our members, we reserve the right to limit the number of attendees per organization for select professional development programs.