This program is a part of the Financial Series from our PNY Core:
- February 22 – Financial Series: Intro to Financial Statements
- March 1 – What to Look for in a Nonprofit’s Financial Statement
- March 8 – Looking at the 990 Part 1 of 3*
- March 15 – Looking at the 990 Part 2 of 3*
- March 22 – Looking at the 990 Part 3 of 3*
- March 29 – Using Financial Statements Together with IRS Form 990 to Understand Your Potential Grantees
- April 5 – Applied Finance: The IRS Form 990 as a Tool for Understanding Organizational Capacity
- April 12 - Getting the Financial Information You Need Without Overburdening Grantees
Nonprofit organizations face increasing challenges in today’s operating environment. In order to better understand the realities facing nonprofits and make sound funding decisions, grantmakers must have a firm grasp of the story told by the numbers as well as an awareness of the gaps in capacity that may be hampering an organization’s impact. Focusing on effective approaches to reading and interpreting the IRS Form 990, this workshop will equip grantmakers to understand their grantees’ financial health and how it connects to overall organizational capacity.
The session will address the financial health and organizational capacity of individual nonprofits and will be structured to include hands-on work with concepts and tools applicable to grantees across a range of mission areas and business models.
**To make the most out of your session, please bring a copy of one of your grantee’s IRS Form 990, preferably one with which you are familiar, from a grantee organization that has changed a lot and/or is growing.**
- The differences between the Form 990 and audited financial statements and what you might be missing if you rely solely on one or the other
- How to calculate and interpret key indicators of financial health and sustainability using both the audit and the Form 990, including:
- Liquid Unrestricted Net Assets (LUNA)
- Months of cash on hand
- Operating results
- Resource allocations among functions
- Key non-financial information in the form 990 that provides insights into an organization’s capacity in the areas of governance, leadership, and fundraising
- Identify key measures that will reveal the nonprofit’s sustainability
- Hilda Polanco, Founder and CEO, Fiscal Management Associates, LLC
All interested funders.
8:45 - 9:00 AM Check-in
9:00 - 11:00 AM Program
Registration is currently closed. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to get on the waitlist.
Members: To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above.
Non-Member Funders: Create an account or log in above and click the Register Now link.
Please email email@example.com with any questions.