Thursday, February 25, 2016 -
9:00am to 11:00am EST
Philanthropy New York, 1500 Broadway, 7th Floor, NYC
Add to Calendar
This program is a part of a four-part Interpreting Financial Statements Series from our 2016 PNY Core Curriculum:
- February 25 – What to Look for in a Nonprofit’s Financial Statement
- March 3 – Looking at the 990 Part I
- March 10 – Looking at the 990 Part II
- March 17 – Using Financial Statements Together with IRS Form 990 to Understand Your Potential Grantees*
Missed the session? Watch it here.
Learn how to analyze and evaluate nonprofit financial statements and know what questions to raise for further analysis. Walk through a set of financial statements, focusing on definitions and relationships of numbers. A brief history of GAAP, as it applies to Not-for-Profit organizations, will also be presented. The program will also consider "red flags" and offer some ratio analyses to use when assessing the financial health of an organization.
- Financial statements with an accountant eminent in the nonprofit sector
- The basics of reading and interpreting financial statements
- What's changed since last year within the financial statements
- How to spot red flags as well as signs of an organization's financial health
- Ratios and formulas that will help you evaluate and compare nonprofit financials
- What questions to raise with the grant applicant or grantee
- A better understanding of which notes to the financials are integral to your assessment of the organization
- Candice Meth, CPA, Partner, Not-for-Profit Services Group, EisnerAmper LLP
- Rebecca Nash, Accountant, Not-for-Profit Services Group, EisnerAmper LLP
Funders with less than two years of experience in the field – program officers, CEOs and other staff, as well as trustees. It is also recommended for experienced grantmakers seeking a refresher in the basic financial tools of grantmaking.
8:45 - 9:00 AM Check-in
9:00 - 11:00 AM Program
Registration is required by February 24th.
*Please indicate if you will be attending via webcast or in-person (option will be listed upon checkout).*
Members: To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above. (no fee)
Non-Member Funders: Please email email@example.com ($150 fee).
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.