We are now hosting Part 1 and Part 2 on March 19th (10am - 11:30am) and March 23rd (9am - 10:30am) as Zoom webinars. Please register to receive the webinar links the day before each session.
This members-only program is a part of the Financial Series (Fundamentals to Financials) from our PNY Core:
- February 27 – Intro to Financial Statements (Snow Day: March 2)
- March 5 – What to Look for in a Nonprofit’s Financial Statement (Snow Day: March 9)
- March 19 & 23 – Looking at the 990 Part 1 and 2
- March 26 – Using Financial Statements Together with IRS Form 990 to Understand Your Potential Grantees (Snow Day: March 30)
- April 9 – Getting the Financial Information You Need Without Overburdening Grantees (April 13)
PNY Members: Log into your Philanthropy New York account to view the available recordings of the 2020 Financial Series.
The IRS Form 990 is used by funders as a tool to track and scrutinize the finances, governance and accomplishments of grant applicants and recipients. The form creates a level playing field for an otherwise diverse sector. What information can be gleaned from the form? What are the critical focus areas?
Upon completing this session, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate an ability to analyze an organization’s financial health through the 990
- Analyze an organization’s 990 for potential red flags
- Use the 990 to understand governance of the organization
- Identify questions to raise with the grant applicant or grantee about their 990
- Scott A. Brown, CPA, Senior Manager, PKF O'Connor Davies, LLP
- Anan A. Samara, Principal, PKF O'Connor Davies, LLP
Funders with less than two years of experience in the field – program-officers, CEOs and other staff, as well as trustees. It is also recommended for experienced grantmakers seeking a refresher in the basic financial tools of grantmaking.
March 19 - 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM Program
March 23 - 9:00 AM - 10:30 AM Program
Registration is required by March 18th.
Members: To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above. (no fee)
Please note: To ensure fairness among our members, we reserve the right to limit the number of attendees per organization for select professional development programs.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.