This members-only program is a part of the Financial Series (Fundamentals to Financials) from our PNY Core:
- February 27 – Intro to Financial Statements (Snow Day: March 2)
- March 5 – What to Look for in a Nonprofit’s Financial Statement (Snow Day: March 9)
- March 12 – Looking at the 990 Part 1 of 2* (Snow Day: March 16)
- March 19 – Looking at the 990 Part 2 of 2* (Snow Day: March 23)
- March 26 – Using Financial Statements Together with IRS Form 990 to Understand Your Potential Grantees (Snow Day: March 30)
- April 9 – Getting the Financial Information You Need Without Overburdening Grantees (Snow Day: April 13)
* This session assumes basic knowledge of financial management and reporting. If you do not already have experience in the basic terminology of nonprofit financials, please register for and attend the Financial Series: Intro to Financial Statements before these sessions. Due to the intensive nature of this session, it will not be offered via remote access.
PNY Members: Log into your Philanthropy New York account to view the available recordings of the 2020 Financial Series.
Learn how to analyze and evaluate nonprofit financial statements and know what questions to raise for further analysis. Walk through a set of sample financial statements, focusing on definitions and relationships of numbers. What are some “red flags” to consider? What’s changed since last year within the financial statements? The program will also offer some key ratio analyses to use when assessing the financial health of a nonprofit.
- Demonstrate an ability to analyze an organization’s financial health through its audited financial statement
- Identify which notes to the financials are integral to your assessment of an organization
- Analyze an organization’s financial statements for potential red flags
- Apply ratios and formulas that will aid in the evaluation and comparison of nonprofit financials
- Identify what questions to raise with the grant applicant or grantee about their financials
- Scott A. Brown, CPA, Senior Manager, PKF O'Connor Davies, LLP
- Anan A. Samara, Principal, PKF O'Connor Davies, LLP
Funders with less than two years of experience in the field – program-officers, CEOs and other staff, as well as trustees. It is also recommended for experienced grantmakers seeking a refresher in the basic financial tools of grantmaking.
8:45 - 9:00 AM Check-in
9:00 AM - 12:00 PM Program
Registration is required by March 4th. Space is limited.
Members: To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above. (no fee)
Please note: To ensure fairness among our members, we reserve the right to limit the number of attendees per organization for select professional development programs.
Please email email@example.com with any questions.