There are numerous employment laws and regulations that keep changing every year. Large organizations have human resources departments and often have in-house counsel to help them stay in compliance. But if you are a small organization, you often do not have these resources available to you.
Recruiting can be a minefield if you do not know what legally should be included in a job posting and what questions you can and cannot ask in an interview. While navigating all of the laws and regulation, how do you still get all the information you need to make a successful hiring decision?
Most organizations in New York are “at-will” employers, meaning that an employer may terminate any employee at any time, for any reason. But despite this, there are regulations that limit the scope of “at-will.”
From recruiting for a new person to involuntarily terminating someone’s employment in the best interest of the organization, there are things that need to be considered. Please join us for a robust panel discussion!
- Where to source the best candidates for this positon
- Interview questions that will help you spot potential employees – and questions you can’t ask
- Key considerations for background checks and screening
- How small talk about personnel issues can come back to haunt you
- Steps for addressing performance issues
- Best practices for reducing your organization’s liabilities when terminating employees
- Nina Fleiss, Deputy and Human Resources Director, Simons Foundation
- William Kelley, Director Talent Acquisition, Ford Foundation
- Layla Naficy, Manager HR and Talent Acquisition, Simons Foundation
- Waajida Small, Director of HR, Trinity Wall Street Grants Program
- Leisle Lin (Moderator), Senior Vice President of Finance and Operations, Alfred P. Sloan Foundation
Members of FAN, as well as prospective FAN members who have a responsibility for foundation administration, including human resources and operations.
8:45 - 9:00 AM Check-in and Networking Breakfast
9:00 - 10:30 AM Program
This event is only open to Philanthropy New York members. Registration is required by September 5th.
Members: To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above.
*Reminder: As always, creating a confidential space at network meetings is very important. Please do not share specific details from the meetings with individuals outside the network.*
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or for further information on this program or on eligibility.