True or false:
- It’s permissible for your foundation to make grants that are used for public policy or legal advocacy
- A 501 (h) election allows your foundation to take a stance on a piece of legislation
- Administrative lobbying is subject to all the same rules as legislative lobbying
- Private foundations may fund 501(c)(4) organizations
The answers to these and many other questions may surprise you. And, if they do, you may be missing out on a strategy that can advance your foundation's goals. Don’t miss this opportunity to learn what you need to know about the ins-and-outs — and what's licit and what's not — about using or funding advocacy to further your foundation’s work.
This program is broken out into two parts:
2:30-3:45 PM - What You Can and Cannot Do: Legal Boundaries and Opportunities
- Sean Delany, Executive Director, Lawyers Alliance for New York
- Relevant legal issues surrounding funding advocacy work
- Ways to fund advocacy and identify ways to take part in advocacy as a foundation
4:00-5:00 PM - Increasing Your Impact With 501(c)(4)s
- Lukas Haynes, Executive Director, The David Rockefeller Fund
- Why [charitable funding] of 501c4s is another important tool for private foundations to consider
- How to get your board on board, and questions your board might ask and how to address them
Sean Delany, Executive Director, Lawyers Alliance for New York
Lukas Haynes, Executive Director, The David Rockefeller Fund
All interested funders.
2:15 PM - 2:30 PM Check-in
2:30 PM - 5:00 PM Program
Registration is required by June 18th.
Members: To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above. (no fee)
Guests of Organizers: Please email email@example.com with your name, title, organizational affiliation, business mailing address, and phone number. Please indicate by which organizer you were invited. (no fee)
Non-Member Funders: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org ($150 fee)
Please note: To ensure fairness among our members, we reserve the right to limit the number of attendees per organization for select professional development programs.
Please email email@example.com with any questions.