The wave of leadership transitions in the nonprofit sector does not show any signs of slowing down. Inevitably, some of these transitions will happen in organizations in crisis. Whether the crisis is internal – financial challenges, leadership breakdowns – or external – economic downturn, pandemic – leadership transition are moments of great vulnerability and instability for most organizations. When exacerbated by a crisis, the challenges multiply.
In this session, we’ll hear from leaders who transition during times of crisis as well as a consultant who works specifically on leadership transitions about the unique challenges and opportunities of these transitions.
- The circumstances, internal and external, that lead organizations to unanticipated transitions
- How funders can support organizations in weathering these transitions
- How funders can support organizations in crisis
- The pitfalls that funders can and should avoid when their nonprofit partners are going through transitions in a time of crises (e.g., waiting until the crisis passes, managing uncertainty, etc.)
- Eric Braxton, Executive Co-Director, Funders’ Collaborative on Youth Organizing; former Executive Director, Philadelphia Student Union
- Lisa Garrett, Leadership Consultant and Coach
- Christina Swarns, Executive Director, Innocence Project; former President and Attorney-in-Charge, Office of the Appellate Defender, Inc.
- Lori Bezahler (Moderator), President, Edward W. Hazen Foundation
All interested funders in grantmaking roles. What to expect: presentation followed by group discussion.
In Collaboration With