The state of New York recently passed the most significant pre-trial criminal justice reforms in more than a generation, thanks in large part to the advocacy efforts of community-based groups, directly impacted individuals and families, and reform-minded legislators.
These laws eliminate money bail for most misdemeanor and non-violent felony charges, require prosecutors to turn over all evidence prior to any plea deal and address loopholes around speedy trial rights. Tens of thousands of lives will be impacted annually by these changes.
Please join our Justice Reform Working Group for a timely discussion with advocates and directly impacted persons on the implications of these pre-trial wins and the status of other NYS and NYC justice policy reforms.
- Details included in the new reforms
- The impact for bail funds and the closure of Rikers
- The risks of unintended consequences of this legislative package or rollback of earlier policy wins
- What’s needed to ensure successful implementation and monitoring of the policy changes, including short-and long-term funding needs
- What to expect in the next legislative session
- Alyssa Aguilera, Co-Executive Director, Vocal-NY
- Lorenzo Jones, Co-Founder & Co-Executive Director, Katal Center for Health, Equity, and Justice
- Scott Levy, Special Counsel to Criminal Defense Practice (CDP), The Bronx Defenders, and impacted community member
- Insha Rahman, Director of Strategy & New Initiatives, Vera Institute of Justice
- Tasha Tucker (Moderator), Director of Justice and Reconciliation Grants, Trinity Church Wall Street
- Diane Sierpina (Moderator), Director of Justice Initiatives, The Tow Foundation
All interested funders.
9:45 AM - 10:00 AM Check-in
10:00 AM - 12:00 PM Program
Registration is required by July 23rd
PNY Members: To register yourself or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above.
Guests of Co-Sponsors: Please email email@example.com with your name, title, organizational affiliation, business mailing address, and phone number. Please indicate by which organizer you were invited. (no fee)
Non-Member Funders: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, title, organizational affiliation, business mailing address, and phone number. Please indicate by whom you were invited. ($150 fee)
Please note: To ensure fairness among our members, we reserve the right to limit the number of attendees per organization for select professional development programs.
Please email email@example.com with any questions.