With a new mayoral administration in America’s largest city taking on a one-of-a-kind effort towards co-governance and collaborative policymaking, the possibilities for public-private partnerships between philanthropy and local government are about to be redefined.
Join us to learn about the ways the Adams administration is building out civic infrastructure throughout government, along with policy survey findings that can help you strategize around your own investments in the city’s non-profit and social impact community–and how you can be strategic in the ways you engage the new administration. You will also learn about the crucial next phases of NYC Speaks, including the action planning workshops that will bring together senior policymakers, issue experts, and civic and philanthropic leaders to craft actionable policies and programs responsive to community voice.
What will you learn?
- Preliminary findings from the citywide survey that quantifies residents’ priorities around key policy issues such as housing, public safety, racial equity, workforce development, climate, and more
- How the experience of NYC Speaks’ philanthropic funders is contributing to standing up the infrastructure for NYC Speaks
- Current perspectives on how New York’s philanthropic community could be partnering with City government
- How the "action plan" emerging from a similar prior initiative in Miami-Dade led to a historic budget and catalyzed a series of co-investments with philanthropy
Who should attend?
All interested funders. What to expect: panel discussion followed by Q&A.
- Dr. Shango Blake, Co-Executive Director, NYC Speaks, and Founder/CEO, T.R.U SK Consultants
- Neill Coleman, Executive Director, Trinity Church Wall Street Philanthropies
- Monique “Mo” George, Program Officer, Open Society Foundations
- Matthew Klein, Chief Program and Impact Officer, Robin Hood
- Sheena Wright, NYC Deputy Mayor for Strategic Initiatives, City of New York
- Jose Serrano-McClain (Moderator), Co-Executive Director of NYC Speaks and Partner, HR&A Advisors
Summary of Citywide Survey Findings
- Kristina Pecorelli, Principal, HR&A Advisors
About NYC Speaks: NYC Speaks is a six-month citywide public engagement and people-driven government transformation initiative that is engaging tens of thousands of New Yorkers to inform the priorities and policies of the Eric Adams administration. The effort, a public-private partnership between the new administration and a growing network of community leaders and civic institutions, is hosted by Goodnation Philanthropy Advisors, managed by HR&A Advisors, and backed by some of New York’s largest and most innovative philanthropic organizations, including Ford Foundation, Robin Hood, Open Society Foundations, Trinity Church Wall Street, New York Women’s Foundation, Carnegie Corporation of New York, New York Community Trust, and FWD.us Education Fund. A crucial phase of this initiative will be facilitating how policies and programs emerging from the process can advance through co-investment with both government and philanthropic support.
Learn more here.