President Biden's recent student loan announcements were welcome news for low-income borrowers. But they remain just proposals with several hurdles ahead. Yet for the next 60 days we have an existing, massive, opportunity to forgive student debt. After 14 years with a deeply flawed system, we finally have the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program we need. Because of a special US Department of Education program related to the COVID crisis, 250,000 New Yorkers are eligible to have all their student loans erased, including all staff at 501c3 philanthropic organizations. 5,000 New Yorkers have already had an average of $63,935 forgiven!
Loan forgiveness is available to anyone who works in government or nonprofit - and while a borrower must have worked for 10 years to have their loans fully forgiven, even borrowers with fewer than 10 years must take certain steps right now. But the fix is temporary and only lasts until October 31, 2022.
Join your PNY funder colleagues to hear how they have activated new networks to take advantage of this opportunity. Come learn what you can do next in getting the word out before the October 31st deadline.
What will you learn?
- What are the opportunities in public service student loan forgiveness
- PSLF waiver as a certain path to loan forgiveness for most government and nonprofit workers
- What are the rules and deadlines for PSLF
- How funders are accessing their networking and convening power to get the word out among their nonprofit communities and what’s next
Who should attend?
All interested funders, regardless of roles. What to expect: presentation followed by Q&A.
- Amy Freitag, President and CEO, The New York Community Trust
- Rich Leimsider, Founder and Campaign Director, PSLF.nyc
- Lisa Pilar Cowan, Vice President, Robert Sterling Clark Foundation
How do you sign up?
Members and Non-Members: To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above. (no fee)
Registration is required by September 13th.
Registrants will receive the webinar link a day prior to each session.
Please email email@example.com with questions or for further information on this program or on eligibility.
In Collaboration With