The Foundation Administrators Network (FAN) brings together HR and operations professionals to share knowledge and resources, to test complex ideas with peers about administrative issues related to managing a foundation, and to strengthen professional skills and expertise. At our next FAN meeting, we will be drawing from the experience of our own members to talk about onboarding programs they have developed to help ease the transition from “new hire” to active, engaged, supported staff member. Depending on the size of your foundation, the orientation you give to new staff can be very different, yet critical to ensuring a new person’s success.
- The different aspects of onboarding — from the routine operations tasks for all staff (benefits enrollment and IT overview) to specific programmatic training provided to new grantmakers around due diligence, grantmaking structures, conducting site visits, and the role of evaluation and research in designing program strategies
- How orientation can best be supported by engaging managers and other staff in the process
- How to make all of the onboarding components available to be easily referenced after the initial meetings take place
- Jeanne Haws, Chief Operating Officer, Wellspring Advisors
With contributions from
- John Bateman, Administrative Officer, The Peter and Carmen Lucia Buck Foundation
- Leigh Garofalow, Director of Finance and Operations, The Samuel Bronfman Foundation
- Maria Nielsen, Human Resources Director, The Atlantic Philanthropies
The presenters will also discuss onboarding in small organizations and larger ones, and in organizations with staff located in offices around the world. After the panel and Q&A, members will have time to break into small groups and discuss their own experiences with onboarding — what has worked and what hasn’t — and then report back and share with the larger group.
Reminder: As always, creating a confidential space at network meetings is very important. Please do not share specific details from the meetings with individuals outside the network.
This program is "Completely Private."
Members who have responsibility for foundation administration, including human resources, finance and operations.
This event is only open to Philanthropy New York members. To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please click on the link above (visible until March 25th).
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.