- February 15 – Financial Series: Intro to Financial Statements
- March 2 – What to Look for in a Nonprofit’s Financial Statement
- March 9 – Looking at the 990 Part 1 of 2*
- March 16 – Looking at the 990 Part 2 of 2*
- March 23 – Using Financial Statements Together with IRS Form 990 to Understand Your Potential Grantees
- March 30 – Applied Finance: The IRS Form 990 as a Tool for Understanding Organizational Capacity
*Please note: Participants will automatically be registered for both sessions in this two-part series. Due to the intensive nature of these sessions, they will not be offered via remote access.
The IRS Form 990 is used by funders as a tool to track and scrutinize the finances, governance and accomplishments of grant applicants and recipients. The form creates a level playing field for an otherwise diverse sector. What information can be gleaned from the form? What are the critical focus areas?
Upon completing this session, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate an ability to analyze an organization’s financial health through the 990
- Analyze an organization’s 990 for potential red flags
- Use the 990 to understand governance of the organization
- Identify questions to raise with the grant applicant or grantee about their 990
- Candice Meth, CPA, Partner, Not-for-Profit Services Group, EisnerAmper LLP
Funders with less than two years of experience in the field – program-officers, CEOs and other staff, as well as trustees. It is also recommended for experienced grantmakers seeking a refresher in the basic financial tools of grantmaking.
8:45 -9:00 AM Check-in
9:00 -10:30 AM Program
Registration is currently closed. Please email email@example.com to get on the waitlist. Note that you will need to commit to both Part 1 (March 9th) and Part II (March 16th).
Members: To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above. (no fee)
Non-Member Funders: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org ($150 fee).
Please email email@example.com with any questions.