The 2020 Census Funders Group is an ad hoc group of regional philanthropic leaders working in partnership with national and local nonprofit, government and business leaders, as well as our upstate sister organization New York Funders Alliance, and Engage New York, the statewide group of funders focused on advocacy. There are about two dozen foundations already associated with this group, and its meetings are open to all new funders who are interested in learning about progress toward a full and fair 2020 Census count.
This gathering will give funders of any programmatic concern an opportunity to hear from several leaders representing important perspectives on how statewide organizing for the Census will play out. The largest part of the conversation will be a presentation on New York Counts 2020, the broad-based, statewide coalition composed of racial, ethnic, immigrant, religious, health, education, labor, housing, social services and business groups working in partnership with state and local government officials to ensure that New Yorkers across the state – particularly marginalized communities in hard-to-count districts – can fully maximize their participation in the 2020 Census.
The meeting also will give funders an opportunity to hear from Jeff Wice, Director of the New York Counts Initiative of the SUNY Rockefeller Institute of Government. Jeff is working with New York Counts 2020 to develop a comprehensive, data-driven action plan, and he is working with the New York State Census Equity Fund on a statewide analysis of census count challenges and opportunities.
Representatives of the NYC Deputy Mayor’s Office for Strategic Services will provide a brief update on the City’s plans for the Census.
Sol Marie Alfonso-Jones of Long Island Community Foundation will give an update on what local organizers are learning from national funder efforts and news developments on the citizenship question, messaging and other issues. Jennifer Drake of The Dyson Foundation and Robyn Smith of Central New York Community Foundation will provide regional updates on funder interest and organizing on Census 2020 in the Hudson Valley and Onondaga County respectively. Pat Swann of New York Community Trust will give an update on the New York State Census Equity Fund.
Each portion of the agenda will provide participants – both those in the room and those participating via webinar – ample time to ask questions and engage in the conversation.
***For Members of New York Funders Alliance and Other Funders Not Able to Attend in Person***
If you are a funder interested in Census 2020 issues but can't make it to Times Square on October 15 to meet in-person, we welcome participation by via webinar. If you would like to join by webinar, please ignore the registration button above and simply email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive webinar registration information.
- The work of New York Counts 2020, and how funders are coordinating to support the coalition
- Updates on national funder initiatives on Census 2020 that will have applications for the local get-out-the-count effort
- The latest on the development of the New York State Census Equity Fund
- Sol Marie Alfonso-Jones, Senior Program Officer, Long Island Community Foundation
- Jennifer Drake, Senior Program Officer, The Dyson Foundation
- Maria Marcantonio, Program Officer, The Charles H. Revson Foundation
- Altaf Rahamatulla, Program Officer, New York Foundation
- Patricia Swann, Senior Program Officer, Community Development & the Environment, The New York Community Trust
- Nisha Agarwal, Senior Advisor, Office of the Deputy Mayor for Strategic Policy Initiatives
- Elizabeth Burakowski
- Robyn Smith, Program Officer, Community Engagement, Central New York Community Foundation
- Jeff M. Wice, Fellow, The SUNY Rockefeller Institute of Government
- Elizabeth R. OuYang, Coordinator, New York Counts 2020
All interested funders.
2:45 - 3:00 PM Check-in
3:00 - 5:00 PM Program
Registration is required by October 14.
PNY Members: To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above.
NYFA Members, Non-Member Funders and Invited Nonprofits: Please email Michael Remaly, email@example.com.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.