What is Philanthropy 101?
It is a five-part series that helps all staff new to philanthropy better understand the sector. This interactive course will help participants gain the working knowledge they need to understand and navigate the field of philanthropy, as they begin to build the relationships in the sector that will support their growth in the arc of their careers.
Who should attend?
Anyone who has joined the philanthropic sector within the last 1 to 2 years or is interested in a refresher. The course is available for ALL roles.
What will you learn?
- Understanding Philanthropy New York’s role in the sector: who we are, what we do, and what the community offers
- Begin to understand and examine the nuances of power attributed to philanthropy and your role within it
- How to identify resources for cultivating a peer network, including within the broader philanthropic infrastructure
- Yi-Ching Lin, Vice President of Learning, Philanthropy New York
- Donita Volkwijn, Senior Director, Member Engagement, Philanthropy New York
What else should you know?
Each session of Philanthropy 101 is a blend of presentation and breakout discussions that build on previous sessions.
Participants are expected to commit to attending all five workshops. Once you register for Part 1, you will automatically be registered for the remaining modules.
9/30 – So You're Working For A Foundation... Power and Your New Community
10/14 – Speaking the Same Language
10/28 – Fundamentals of Grantmaking
12/2 – Foundation Governance and Legal Issues
12/9 – The Big Conversations in Philanthropy
** The Philanthropy 101 Series will be fully virtual in 2022. Foundations outside the New York metropolitan area can take advantage of the 2022 virtual series for a fee. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.**
How do you sign up?
Members: Please log in and click the Register Now link above (no fee).
Registration is required by September 29th.
Registrants will receive the webinar link a day prior to each session.
Please email email@example.com with questions or for further information on this program or on eligibility.