According to the latest Adoption and Foster Care Analysis and Report System (AFCARS) data, 20,789 youth "aged out" of the foster care system when they reached the age of 18 or finished high school in 2015. While the transition from youth to adulthood can be challenging for any young person, those who are exiting foster care can face an uphill battle learning to navigate the path to independence. Join the NYC Youth Funders for a session that will explore the specific challenges faced by youth aging out of foster care and the skills, services, and supports they need to ensure a successful transition out of care.
- A conversation with current and former foster youth on topics including permanency and long-term support networks; success in college, careers, and other post-secondary pathways; housing access; mental health supports; and building social/emotional and life skills
- How philanthropy can effectively support youth and organizations in this work, as well as work with partners to advance systemic change
- The development of a body of successful evidence-based practices to encourage systemic change, policy reform, and the creation of robust pathways at the city level
- Manuela Arciniegas, Associate Program Officer, Andrus Family Fund
- Samantha Ender, Vice President & Program Officer, Booth Ferris Foundation
- Julie Farber, Deputy Commissioner, Administration for Children's Services
- Natashe Lifton, Senior Program Officer, New York Community Trust
- Jessica Maxwell, Foster Youth Success Alliance Director, The Children's Aid Society
- Sharmeela Mediratta, Vice President, Graham Windham
- Dawn Saffayeh, Executive Director, HeartShare St. Vincent's Services
- Virginia Vitzthum, Program Manager & Editor, Represent, Youth Communications
- Toya Williford, Director of Programs and Policy, Mayor's Fund to Advance New York City
- Katie Napolitano (Moderator), Program Officer, Tiger Foundation
All interested funders.
2:45 - 3:00 PM Check-in
3:00 - 5:00 PM Program
Registration is required by April 19th
Members: To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above.
Guests of NYC Youth Funders: Please email email@example.com with your name, title, organizational affiliation, business mailing address, and phone number. Please indicate by which organizer you were invited. (no fee)
Non-Member Funders: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. ($150 fee)