As the world continues to wrestle with the impacts of climate change and over-reliance on fossil fuels, low-income communities continue to be disproportionately impacted by pollution, lack of access to green space, and other environmental risks and hazards. Offering young people opportunities and support to become environmental stewards; explore career pathways in the environmental and STEAM sectors; and develop essential advocacy and organizing skills; helps to ensure they are ready to tackle one of the greatest challenges of our time.
Join us for a discussion on how nonprofit organizations are advancing environmental and social justice through STEAM programming with young people.
This panel will feature three BIPOC leaders of STEAM nonprofits based in Brooklyn and the Bronx. Learn the ways they are engaging their local communities and empowering young people to become leaders to promote environmental and social justice.
What will you learn?
- STEAM education and youth development strategies including internship/mentorship opportunities, advocacy and organizing, college and career readiness, and community engagement
- The interplay between STEAM programming, SEL growth, and education outcomes
- How STEAM youth programming fosters healthy ecology, recreation, and land preservation
- How STEAM spaces have become places of connection, belonging, higher learning, and professional development for young people especially during the pandemic
- How civic engagement and STEAM programming can empower youth to become leaders and changemakers and well prepared to enter the workforce
- How funders can best support STEAM programs
Who should attend?
All interested funders, regardless of role within your foundation. What to expect: panel discussion followed by Q&A.
- Iyeshima Harris, Project Director, East New York Farms
- Clarisa James, Executive Director, Divas for Social Justice
- Amelia Zaino, Education Coordinator, Bronx River Alliance
- Jennifer Negron (Moderator), Senior Program Officer, The Pinkerton Foundation; Executive Committee Member, National STEM Funders Network
NYC Youth and Education Funders
The New York Environmental Funders Network