A day-long training, followed by six months of peer cohort workshops
Has your organization been assessing or re-assessing its approaches to better achieve racial equity? Are you looking to translate strategies into tactics to help your organization make real progress?
Race continues to play a defining role in our personal and our community’s trajectory, goals, experiences and outcomes. As grantmakers working to tackle inequality, it is important that we build a shared understanding and a set of tools to speak openly about racial bias and inequity, and their deep roots in our history, culture and institutions.
Philanthropy New York, in partnership with Race Forward, presents Building Racial Equity with Race Forward, a six-month peer cohort learning experience designed to help foundation leaders gain the tools and resources to work towards racial equity in both internal and external organizational work.
We have designed the program in two parts:
- One (1) day-long interactive training
- Four (4) follow-up peer-coaching sessions facilitated by Philanthropy New York staff
The goal of this training is to help you address racial inequity both internally and externally:
- Internally – To refocus the economic impact of your organizations, in hiring, talent management, vendor selection, and investment management, among other considerations
- Externally – To examine and refine your grantmaking practices and community partnership strategies to ensure equitable outcomes for people and communities of color
Upon completing the training and workshops, you will be better able to:
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of key concepts such as implicit bias, racial equity and structural racism;
- Discuss race constructively within your organizations and with your constituents;
- Develop and apply tools and practices for counteracting racial bias in your work and practices;
- Identify opportunities and next steps for applying concepts and strategies to advance racial equity in the work place; and
- Collaborate and practice with peers to implement those strategies within your organizations.
Building Racial Equity with Race Forward is open to Philanthropy New York members only in both operational and grantmaking roles in their organizations. We encourage cross-departmental teams to attend and work as pairs during this process. Greater consideration will be given to pairs or teams who have the influence and oversight to effect some level of change within an organization’s culture or grantmaking portfolio.
All participants must commit to the full day-long training and four subsequent peer-learning cohort workshop sessions (2 hours each). The cohort learning sessions are designed to help participants through the challenging work of incorporating this learning into their organizations. Learning sessions will be facilitated by Philanthropy New York staff who have been working in partnership with Race Forward for the past year and will bring their own experiences and challenges to bear in facilitating the sessions.
- Friday, October 27, 2017 - 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Cohort Learning Sessions:
- Thursday, December 7, 2017 - 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. (Reception to follow)
Thanks to a grant from Deutsche Bank for Building Racial Equity with Race Forward, there will be a minimal cost to attend:
- $250 per individual
- $400 for two individuals in one organization
Applications for the Building Racial Equity with Race Forward are available here.
**The deadline for submission is Monday, September 11, 2017**
If you have additional questions, please contact Kathryn O'Neal-Dunham, Chief Operating Officer.