Propel Democracy Launches Funding To Support Progressive Organizers’ Digital Pivot for 2020 Election
WHAT: The COVID-19 pandemic has upended the entire 2020 campaign, with all interaction moving online amid stay at home orders. While doubts about the digital prowess of the Biden presidential campaign are circulating, the progressive organizing infrastructure is not holding anything back.
With the support of Propel Democracy’s latest round of grants, a number of organizations are leveraging the experimentation from the last several years to rally support ahead of November.
- Organizers like Color Of Change PAC, advised by Rashad Robinson, are adapting their popular Black Joy Brunches to Sunday DJ sets on Zoom for their millions of members.
- The Movement Cooperative is expanding access to peer texting insights for its partners.
- Sister District launched a virtual organizing hub to train volunteers on organizing virtual phone banks, fundraisers and postcarding.
- Potential vice presidential candidate Stacey Abrams’s Fair Fight is the leading voice against the Trump administration’s attacks on the right to vote safely via vote-by-mail during and after the pandemic.
- Care in Action, advised by Ai-Jen Poo, is mobilizing the votes of millions of domestic and care workers who do not have the same legal protections provided to almost all other workers in the United States that are critically important during the COVID-19 crisis.
The 2020 election marks the fifth and most critical year of funding from the $5 million Propel Democracy fund from Propel Capital. Grantees and investments in 2020 include:
- Care in Action
- Color Of Change PAC
- Movement Voter Project
- Sister District
- Way to Win
- New Media Ventures
- The Movement Cooperative
- MoveOn Civic Action
- Fair Fight
- A/B Partners / Fight for the Base
- Mobilize America
WHEN: Funding was dispersed in April, and 2020 organizing efforts are underway.
Propel Capital invests in entrepreneurs, innovators, and changemakers creating a more just and equitable society. Learn more at propelcapital.org