America’s significant demographic shifts – increased racial and ethnic diversity, a larger aging population, and an altered urban racial composition – present an opportunity to close longstanding representation and electoral gaps in our democracy. However, contemporary election structures continue to suppress the meaningful participation of voters of color, leaving America’s democratic promise unfulfilled. In addition to initiatives to protect and expand voting rights, democracy’s defenders must also safeguard the pathways to equitable representation which include, among other things, supporting local activism and civic engagement, and accomplishing a fair and accurate census count in 2020.
Join your peers and leading national organizers to hear frontline strategies and innovations used to engage people across all demographics in November 2018. Additionally, we will discuss what funders should be thinking about for 2020 and learn how to make our funding more relevant through innovative funding practices that support our democracy.
- The impact of actual and perceived problems with the election system on civic engagement and voter participation
- The strategies that inspire civic engagement and turn out voters, particularly from vulnerable communities
- The funding gaps and grassroots efforts that require philanthropic support to drive impact
- The strategic funding practices that boldly support inclusive democracy
- Sharon Alpert, President and CEO, The Nathan Cummings Foundation
- Marisa Franco, Co-Founder, Mijente
- Adrianne Shropshire, Executive Director, BlackPAC
- Sarah M. Williams, Co-Founder and CEO, Propel Capital
- Maria Mottola (Moderator), Executive Director, New York Foundation
All interested funders.
8:45 - 9:00 AM Check-in
9:00 - 11:30 AM Program
Registration is required by December 12th
Members: To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above.
Non-Member Funders: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. ($150 fee)
Please note: To ensure fairness among our members, we reserve the right to limit the number of attendees per organization for select professional development programs.
Please email email@example.com with any questions.
In collaboration with