About 6,000 unaccompanied immigrant children from Central America were released to sponsors in New York State last year, the second highest receiving state after Texas. Most of these children settled in New York City and on Long Island. In the wake of significant media attention to the so-called “surge” of immigrant children, the federal government tried to reduce the influx of children, in part by expediting deportation proceedings.
Meanwhile, local communities have developed responses and programs to assist the recently arrived children. New York City has benefited from significant government and philanthropic support for unaccompanied immigrant youth and is home to several exemplary programs to assist the children who settled here.
Join us to hear from grantmakers who were early investors in this work, and from several groups that are working with the children on the front lines.
- Challenges facing unaccompanied children arriving from Central America
- Promising models of intervention that involve provision of legal, medical and mental health services
- Support and programs in school
- Elvis Garcia Callejas, Migration Counselor, Catholic Charities
- Sandra Dunn, Program Director, Local Immigration Program, The Hagedorn Foundation
- Alan Shapiro, Co-Founder, Terra Firma; Senior Medical Director, Community Pediatric Programs, Children's Hospital at Montefiore
- Eve Stotland, Director, Legal Services Center, The Door
- Claire Sylvan, Executive Director and Founder, Internationals Network for Public Schools
- Suzette Brooks Masters (Moderator), Program Director, Migration, JM Kaplan Fund
All interested funders.
2:15 - 2:30 PM Check-in
2:30 - 4:30 PM Program
Registration is required by April 28.
Can't attend in person? You can watch the discussion via livestream!
Members: To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above. (no fee)
Guests of Organizers: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, title, organizational affiliation, business mailing address, and phone number. Please indicate by which organizer you were invited. (no fee)
Non-Member Funders: Please email email@example.com ($150 fee)
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
In collaboration with