Summer Youth Employment Programs (SYEPs) are a staple of youth development programming in cities across the country. SYEP is often one of the first formal employment opportunity for young adults. Participants learn job skills, work with other young people and adults, and bring home a paycheck.
In the last three years, NYC has participated in Summer Jobs Connect – an ambitious initiative spearheaded by the Citi Foundation and the CFE Fund to support young adults seeking summer employment, enhancing municipally-led programs by integrating structural linkages to safe and appropriate banking products, services, and education. Beyond a seasonal paycheck, Summer Jobs Connect positions first job experiences as entry points for lifelong success in the financial mainstream.
Our panel will discuss the program model, as well as recent successes and challenges in New York City. We will look at opportunities for philanthropy to learn from and build on this important work of integrating banking and financial empowerment opportunities into employment programs more widely.
- How financial empowerment strategies have been woven into youth employment programs
- How to connect strategy to other opportunities in order to connect financial empowerment supports and employment initiatives
- Philanthropy’s role in connecting youth development and financial empowerment
- Julia Breitman, Senior Director, Youth Employment Programs and Partnerships, NYC Department of Youth and Community Development
- Rosemary Byrnes, Senior Program Officer, Citi Foundation
- I-Hsing Sun (Moderator), Chief Program Officer, Cities for Financial Empowerment Fund
All interested funders.
2:45 - 3:00 PM Check-in
3:00 - 5:00 PM Program
Registration is required by November 2.
Members: To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above. (no fee)
Guests of AFN and NYC Youth Funders: Please email email@example.com with your name, title, organizational affiliation, business mailing address, and phone number. Please indicate by which organizer you were invited. (no fee)
Non-Member Funders: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org ($150 fee).
Please email email@example.com with any questions.