Islamophobia is escalating rapidly across the country, fueling fear, discrimination and hate crimes against Muslim, Arab and South Asian communities. In recent months, we have borne witness to a growing number of hostile acts including vandalism, intimidation and verbal and physical attacks on vulnerable people. This growing crisis has propelled multidisciplinary funders to seek out new ideas and strategies to be responsive to galloping need.
The funders briefing will be a day of learning and discussion with creative thought leaders, artists and philanthropy professionals on how arts and culture can diffuse the cultural tensions and “othering” that drive Islamophobia.
- The role of art in shifting cultural narratives
- The kind of creative partnerships and collaborations that can serve as an effective response to encourage pluralism and harmony in our communities
- Meaningful mechanisms that currently exist or can be adapted to magnify mutual wellbeing
This briefing offers a chance for funders to weigh these and other vital questions and propose concrete next steps for action.
A Philanthropy New York Collaborative Program with ArtPlace America, Doris Duke Foundation for Islamic Art, Ford Foundation, John Brademas Center of New York University, New York Community Trust, and New York Foundation.
List of Speakers
- Wajahat Ali, PEN America M Word Series
- Jacklyn Biskup, Producer, Seftel Productions, Secret Life of Muslims
- Ken Chen, Executive Director, Asian American Writers Workshop
- Ed Henry, President, Doris Duke Charitable Foundation and Doris Duke Foundation for Islamic Art
- Christopher Merrill, Director, International Writing Program, University of Iowa
- Dean Obeidallah, Comedian
- Ping Chong + Company
- Hussein Rashid, Adjunct Professor, Barnard College, Columbia University
- Flash Rosenberg, Graphic Animator
- Kashif Shaikh, Pillars Fund
- Lorie Slutsky, President, The New York Community Trust
- Mahyad Tousi, Co-Founder, BoomGen Studios
- Cristal Chanelle Truscott, Theater Director & Founder, Progress Theatre
- Darren Walker, President, Ford Foundation
- Maysoon Zaayid, Comedian
- List of Speakers forming
8:00 AM - 9:00 AM Registration and Breakfast
9:00 AM - 5:30 PM Program (lunch will be provided)
Reception to follow
Registration is required by March 10.
Members: To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above. (no fee)
Please email email@example.com with any questions.