Women are more than half of the immigrant population in the United States. They start businesses at higher rates than American-born women, and research shows they are often the ones that propel their families toward obtaining American citizenship. Immigrant women are leaders. But with limited access to networks of power, and at times facing strict gender norms within their own communities, immigrant women confront barriers to fully participating in social change movements.
Among the various leadership programs in New York City for social change practitioners, very few provide a dedicated space for immigrant women. Often, the programs are within a community-based organization, and there is rarely an opportunity for women to come together across sectors, although they seek to give women the tools and networks they’ll need to achieve their social change goals.
Join Philanthropy New York’s Funders of Women and Girls for a robust conversation exploring the ideas coming out of leadership development programs. This session will feature foundation, government and nonprofit leaders discussing the challenges, rewards and future of leadership development for immigrant women.
- The importance of supporting networks and resources that focus on strengthening immigrant women leaders
- Lessons learned from those who have spearheaded successful leadership development initiatives and programs
- What opportunities or next steps exist for funders and other stakeholders interested in advancing leadership among immigrant women more broadly
- Nisha Agarwal, Commissioner, Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs
- Afreen Alam, Executive Director, Chhaya CDC
- Sayu Bhojwani, President and Founder, New American Leaders Project
- Zeinab Eyega, M. Sc, Executive Director, Sauti Yetu Center for African Women
- Taryn Higashi (moderator), Executive Director, Unbound Philanthropy
- Kristen Illes, Vice President of Programs and Training, Coro New York
2:45 - 3:00 PM Check-in
3:00 - 5:00 PM Program
Members: To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above. (no fee)
Guests of Organizers: Please email email@example.com with your name, title, organizational affiliation, business mailing address, and phone number. Please indicate by which organizer you were invited. (no fee)
In collaboration with