International grantmakers are often working in areas where laws and conditions for grantmaking are challenging to navigate. Recent times have seen an increase in laws and regulations in many areas that are unwelcoming to philanthropy and civil society. At the same time, however, funding needs in these areas have grown.
Philanthropy New York’s International Grantmakers Network will explore creative ways we can continue to provide global support. In this session, we will learn more about global trends and how to navigate this changing terrain with experts from the International Center for Not-for-Profit Law, the Index of Philanthropic Freedom at the Lily School of Philanthropy at Indiana University, and the King Baudouin Foundation.
To foster deeper conversation and learning, and also to inform our speakers about topics the funding community is specifically interested in, Philanthropy New York asks that you please email any questions you have about the topic to email@example.com. We look forward to learning and sharing around these topics as part of this funder-only discussion.
- Barriers and incentives to global giving, as analyzed by the Index of Philanthropic Freedom
- Current trends and developments in the international grantmaking environment
- Strategies for supporting organizations that are based in challenging legal environments
- Operational approaches for grantmaking in areas that are unwelcoming to civil society and philanthropy
- How grantmakers can best provide philanthropic support in challenging environments
- Doug Rutzen, President and CEO, International Center for Nonprofit Law
- Una Osili, Associate Dean for Research and International Programs, Lilly School of Philanthropy at Indiana University
- Jean Paul Warmoes, Director, King Baudouin Foundation United States
- Buff Kavelman (Moderator), President, Kavelman Group Philanthropic Advisors
All interested funders.
2:45 - 3:00 PM Check-in
3:00 - 5:00 PM Program
Registration is required by October 31st.
Members: To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above. (no fee)
Guests of Organizers/Co-Sponsors: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, title, organizational affiliation, business mailing address, and phone number. Please indicate by which organizer you were invited. (no fee)
Non-Member Funders: Create an account or log in above and click the Register Now link. ($150 fee)