Many philanthropic institutions and individuals are considering impact investing as a tool to complement their grantmaking activities. Despite its increasing popularity, however, institutions that support the arts have been slow to add impact investing to their toolkits. This lack of uptake isn’t due to lack of demand, as arts organizations have been clamoring for these opportunities, but rather a mix of preconceived perceptions of the creditworthiness of artists and arts organizations and the hesitancy of funders to explore the possibilities of using equity, debt, and credit as ways of building the capacity of their grantees.
This session seeks to give arts funders in New York City an opportunity to learn the basic concepts of impact investing and how these tools have been applied to the arts sector in New York City.
- The concepts of impact investing
- What impact investing can look like when applied to the arts sector
- Ways in which arts leaders and artists are systematically excluded from participating in impact investing
- How funders can identify opportunities to bring impact investing into their own practice
- Daniel Gallant, Executive Director, Nuyorican Poets Cafe
- Gina Gibney, CEO & Artistic Director, Gibney Dance
- John Oddy, Senior Philanthropic Director, Foundation Source
- Carol Ostrow, Producing Director, The Flea Theater
- Tajreena Tabassoom, Vice President, SeaChange Capital Partners
- Deborah T. Velazquez, Incoming President, Altman Foundation
- Roman Jackson (Moderator), Program Officer, JPMorgan Chase, Private Foundation Services
All interested funders in the arts and NYGIA members; grantmaking, executive and financial staff along with board members of arts grantmaking foundations are especially encouraged to attend.
2:45 - 3:00 PM Check-in
3:00 - 5:00 PM Program
Registration is required by December 10th.
Members: To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above. (no fee)
Guests/Members of New York Grantmakers in the Arts (non-PNY members): Until November 26th, please click Register Now link above (no fee). After November 26th, please email email@example.com with your name, title, organizational affiliation, business mailing address, and phone number. Please indicate by which organizer you were invited. (no fee)