*This program is hosted by our partner, Media Impact Funders, who has extended an invitation to PNY members. Space is limited and will be granted on a first come, first served basis.*
As the field of journalism continues to grapple with the collapse of local news outlets across the country, it’s clear that financial support is needed now more than ever. Philanthropy, in response to the radically changing landscape, is stepping up to revive quality journalism and reconfigure the news media ecosystem. And, in fact, funding for nonprofit news media has seen a notable uptick in philanthropic support, oftentimes in the form of new types of grants.
To better understand these dynamics, Northeastern University's School of Journalism and Harvard University's Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy produced a report highlighting philanthropic support of nonprofit journalism. In addition, Media Impact Funders partnered with the Shorenstein Center to produce a case study report aimed at surfacing innovative funding models.
- An overview of the recently released reports: Funding the News: Foundations and Nonprofit Media and Funding Journalism, Finding Innovation: Success Stories and Ideas for Creative, Sustainable Partnerships
- Insights on MacArthur's pioneering unrestricted, five-year grant to the Pulitzer center, featured as one of the reported case studies
- Other innovative funding models in journalism
- The tie between a strong journalism ecosystem and philanthropy's work to accomplish almost any community-based programmatic objective
- How philanthropy can step up to revive quality journalism and the roles they can play in supporting news and community information
- Nathalie Applewhite, Managing Director, Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting
- Kathy Im, Director of Journalism and Media, MacArthur Foundation
- Indira Lakshmanan, Executive Editor, Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting
- Nicco Mele, Director, Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy, Harvard University
All interested funders.
Registration is required by August 14th.
Members and Non-Member Funders: Please click on the "Register Now" link above. Dial-in and webinar information will be emailed to you before the webinar.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
In collaboration with