Street vendors and food delivery workers are essential to the New York City food system, but since long before the pandemic, the day-to-day realities of these essential workforces were largely invisibilized.
In 2021, street vendors and food delivery workers took to the streets and organized to win major policy changes for increased worker rights such as: creating the first centralized civilian office for street vendors in NYC; lifting the cap on vendor permits for the first time in 40 years; securing six groundbreaking NYC bills that provide labor rights and protections for 65,000 app delivery workers; and helping to create the Excluded Workers Fund, a $2.1 Billion fund New Yorkers excluded from relief due to the nature of their work or immigration status.
Join PNY and Community Food Funders for this virtual briefing, where funding organizations will hear from representatives of the Street Vendor Project and Worker's Justice Project's Los Deliveristas Unidos, as well as a funder supporting both organizations. Learn about the important yet often overlooked role these workers play in our urban food ecosystem, the core elements of successful and ongoing campaign strategies, as well as the upcoming policy changes street vendors and delivery workers are organizing to achieve in 2022 and beyond.
What will you learn?
- How COVID-19 highlighted the role of street vendors & food delivery workers in our urban food ecosystem
- Lessons learned from local policy wins and setbacks for street vendors & food delivery workers
- How an equitable economic recovery for street vendors & food delivery workers will impact the economic recovery of New York City
Who Should Attend?
All interested funders, regardless of role within your foundation.
- Carina Kaufman-Gutierrez, Deputy Director, Street Vendor Project
- Mohamed Attia, Director, Street Vendor Project
- Ligia Guallpa, Co-Executive Director, Workers Justice Project
- Hildalyn Colón Hernández, Director of Policy & Strategic Partnerships, Los Deliveristas, Workers Justice Project
- Jennifer Ching (Moderator), Executive Director, North Star Fund
View a recording and recap of this program here.