Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 5:00pm to Friday, November 30, 2012 - 6:00pm EST
Philanthropy New York, 79 Fifth Ave., 4th floor, NYC
Add to Calendar
Essential Skills and Strategies for New Grantmakers (ESS) provides an introduction to grantmaking and philanthropy for program officers with less than two years of experience in the philanthropic sector.
The three and a half day course will help newcomers build a framework for understanding and implementing ethical and effective grantmaking.
Through highly interactive sessions, you will engage with your peers around opportunities and challenges of the work, such as identifying key factors in making funding decisions, expectations and core tensions of your role as foundation staff.
- Being Grounded in Philanthropy
- Legal and Ethical Issues
- Making Sound Funding Decisions
- Communicating Funding Recommendations and Decisions
- Managing the Grant Portfolio
- Maximizing Grant Impact
- Managing Personal and Professional Changes
A Philanthropy New York Member Service.
- Chris Cardona, Associate Director of Philanthropy, TCC Group
- Pam Foster, Managing Director, Grants Management and Associate General Counsel, The Rockefeller Foundation
- Laura Robbins, Founder and Principal, Laura A. Robbins Consulting, LLC
- Jasmine Thomas, Program Officer, Citi Foundation
Please note: Participation in all events is mandatory.
Tuesday, November 27, 2012
6:00pm - 9:00pm
Wednesday, November 28 – Friday, November 30, 2012
8:30am - 5:00pm
(*Closing reception until 6pm on November 30th.)
ESS is open to program officers with less than two years of philanthropic experience who have the following responsibilities:
- Programmatic due diligence of potential grants (i.e., proposal review, site visits)
- Communicate funding recommendations and decisions to foundation stakeholders
- Assessment of grant performance and evaluation of grantmaking portfolio
As this program requires significant time out of the office, participants must have their supervisors submit a statement of support for their participation.