Many nonprofits and philanthropies embrace the values and goals of inclusiveness, but have had mixed success in diversifying their boards. Some have had challenges identifying appropriate leaders from less familiar communities. Some have had challenges attracting diverse leaders to commit to their organizations. A few have had challenges maintaining and increasing the engagement of these new directors.
This program will share practical strategies for recruiting and engaging new leaders to your board as well as stories from peers who have invested the time, money, patience, and humility required to succeed. Come prepared for some group work and to share practices and experiences.
- General principles for effective planning and implementation of diversity strategies
- Tips on successful tactics and obstacles from colleagues
- Lessons learned from boards of a nonprofit and foundation on how they succeeded in this long-term endeavor
- Ronna Brown, President & CEO, Philanthropy New York
- Kimberly A. Harris, CEO, America Needs You
- Jaimie Mayer, Board Secretary & Trustee, Nathan Cummings Foundation
- Sharon Stapel, President & Executive Director, Nonprofit Coordinating Committee of New York
- Tanya M. Odom, Ed.M. (Moderator), Global Diversity and Inclusion and Education Consultant
Board Chairs, Nominating Committee Chairs, Trustees, and CEOs of nonprofits and philanthropies, preferably those who have already embraced the goal of increasing diversity on their boards and are looking for enhanced approaches.
8:45 - 9:00 AM Check-in
9:00 - 11:00 AM Program
Registration is required by June 20th.
Members: To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above. (no fee)
Guests of NPCC/Organizers: Please email email@example.com with your name, title, organizational affiliation, business mailing address, and phone number. Please indicate by which organizer you were invited. (no fee)
Non-Member Funders: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. ($150 fee)
Please email email@example.com with any questions.