Join us for a wine-and-cheese reception, followed by a screening of the film Difret and a brief panel discussion.
In Difret, a 14-year-old Ethiopian girl is abducted by a group of men in an attempt to force her into marriage, one of the country's oldest traditions. In an attempt to escape, she shoots and kills her would-be husband—and faces a death sentence in the ensuing trial. Based on real events, Difret captures the tensions of a country in transition as it moves toward equal rights, and portrays the courageous people leading the transformation.
- Louis Bickford, Program Officer, Ford Foundation
- Mehret Mandefro, Filmmaker, Difret
- Zeresenay Berhane Mehari, Filmmaker, Difret
- Stephanie Sinclair, Photographer
- Katherine Spillar, Executive Director, Feminist Majority Foundation