In partnership with Ford Foundation's JustFilms initiative.
Philanthropy New York created the Documentary Film Series to encourage members to think about alternative avenues for promoting their missions.
For decades, documentaries have been incredibly influential and provoked immediate reactions—and immediate action—on behalf of significant issues.
Documentary films often demonstrate how a relatively small amount of funding can make a large impact and help nonprofits and social advocates reach a broader audience. The genre extends into so many different areas—child welfare and education, disaster relief, health care, the environment—and delivers a whole host of stories directly and effectively.
We also know that film is a social medium, and that documentaries work best when audiences have an opportunity to engage the filmmakers—and each other—about them.
Join us for a wine-and-cheese reception before each film and panel discussions with the creators after each screening.
- Thursday, October 9, 2014 - We Are Many
- Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - Food Chains
- Wednesday, December 10, 2014 - Kumu Hina
- Thursday, January 8, 2015 - Time is Illmatic
- Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - CITIZENFOUR
- Thursday, March 12, 2015 - Difret
- Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 3½ MINUTES
2013 - 2014 Series
- Thursday, September 12, 2013 - Inequality For All
- Thursday, October 3, 2013 - The Trials of Muhammad Ali
- Thursday, November 14, 2013 - American Revolutionary: The Evolution of Grace Lee Boggs
- Thursday, December 5, 2013 - Who is Dayani Cristal?
- Thursday, January 9, 2014 - Twenty Feet From Stardom
- Thursday, February 6, 2014 - Valentine Road
- Thursday, March 6, 2014 - Freedom Summer
- Thursday, April 3, 2014 - Watchers of the Sky
- Thursday, May 1, 2014 - E-TEAM
- Thursday, June 5, 2014 - Cesar's Last Fast
We thank the Ford Foundation for their ongoing and generous support.
PNY members may bring a guest to these events to share in the experience. Advanced registration required. See our events calendar for more details.