COVID-19 Update: This working group is convening regularly to discuss philanthropic responses in the youth and education sector. Interested funders should check our events page to register.
The NYC Youth and Education Funders (NYCYEF) Working Group is a coalition of philanthropic organizations seeking to holistically improve the quality of life of young people living in NYC. Through their individual and collaborative grantmaking, NYCYEF members seek to support nonprofit organizations that help the city's young people learn and develop the skills and resources necessary to become healthy, happy and contributing members of their communities. As a working group, NYCYEF aims to enhance the effectiveness of youth and education funders by:
- Strengthening the quality of its member's grantmaking and coordinating joint funding efforts;
- Identifying ways in which youth and/or education funding organizations (foundations, public agencies, etc.) can best serve the field and respond in the most effective manner to critical needs;
- Making members aware of high-quality program models and organizations achieving good outcomes for youth, and working with the broader funding community to grow and scale successful programs;
- Bringing national knowledge to bear on specific, local circumstances and issues and sharing local best practices and lessons with the larger philanthropic and policy community;
- Providing opportunities for information exchange among members;
- Continually assessing the interest of membership to ensure presentation of ideas that are relevant to members and practitioners;
- Facilitating discussions of how changing public policies and resources affect the well-being of youth and the organizations that serve them, and, where appropriate, how private dollars can hep leverage public investments to improve organizational capacity and youth outcomes;
- Centering racial equity, gender equity and youth voice, agency and leadership in such discussions;
- Connecting funders with key government officials who are central to determining how city, state and federal government agencies proceed on issues related to youth and education.
- Current members of the working group can access the discussion group here or under "My Account" when logged in.