Organization: United Way of New York City
Name of Position: Miriam Benitez
Organization URL: http://unitedwaynyc.org
City and State: New York, New York
United Way of New York City (UWNYC) is a nonprofit mobilizing people and organizations to eradicate barriers and create opportunities that improve the lives of low-income New Yorkers. Part of the United Way Worldwide system, one of the world's most recognized charitable brands, we envision caring communities in which all individuals and families have access to quality education and the opportunity to lead healthy and financially secure lives. We strive to model our values in all our relationships, both internal and external: Collaboration, Compassion, Integrity, Accountability, and Superior Performance.
UWNYC works side-by-side with individuals, nonprofits, government, businesses, foundations, faith-based organizations, and community partners in developing strategies to produce far-reaching results. We create and fund initiatives focused on improving the quality of life for individuals and families; provide technical assistance, leadership development, and other support to strengthen the capacity of our nonprofit partners; and advocate on important issues affecting our communities.
The Director, Community Schools, EducateNYC will manage a team implementing United Way of New York City’s (UWNYC) AIDP Community School initiative. Under the direction of the Vice President, Education, the Director will head strategy and day-to-day management. The Director is responsible for all aspects of the AIDP contract execution, including contract compliance, fiscal management and for leading CBO capacity building efforts and NYC DOE strategic partnership initiatives.
Reports To: Vice President, Education
Duties And Responsibilities:
- Oversight and management of $60 million UWNYC Community School initiative supporting coordination of fiscal management processes, program oversight, and contract compliance monitoring of 39 community-school partnerships in 45 elementary, middle, and high schools.
- Supervise an internal Community Schools support team.
- Serve as liaison with the NYC Department of Education Office of Community Schools (DOE) as strategic and implementation partner for this initiative; primary point of contact for the DOE’s Deputy Director for the Office of Community Schools.
Capacity-Building and Strategic Partnership Initiatives
- Collaborate with DOE in identifying and coordinating technical assistance and capacity building efforts for Community Based Organizations (CBOs).
- Manage the National Center for Community Schools (NCCS) technical assistance team providing capacity-building supports for 130 Community Schools; oversee agreement with NCCS.
- Create a plan of yearly technical assistance trainings and coordinate the planning and facilitation
- Lead planning and implementation of strategic partnership projects.
- Develop and submit annual report to NYC DOE Office of Community Schools.
Contract, Fiscal, and Compliance Management
- Manage grant agreement development, execution, and flow of funds to partnerships.
- Oversee and monitor the day-to-day operations of AIDP contract and fiscal management to ensure contract requirements and serve as the point person in driving excellence in fiscal management and compliance process.
- Work closely with Finance, Legal and IT departments to identify and implement solutions to improve operational processes and team efficiency.
- Develop start and end date timetables and be accountable for implementation of workflow processes for each contract and fiscal component, including milestones for timeframes, and monitoring and reporting requirements.
- Master’s Degree in Public Administration, Nonprofit Management, Policy or Education is required and at least 5 years of experience performing budgetary, administrative and operational support work for schools.
- Previous experience in and/or demonstrated knowledge of nonprofit operations required.
- Superior data management and analytics skills; intense attention to detail.
- Ability to manage up as well as work across and with several other departmental teams
- Strong delegation skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must have experience with Government Contracts.
- Able to develop and maintain relationships with multiple internal and external parties.
- Proactive and able to work strategically to meet short- and long-term goals.
- Highly motivated, self-directed team player and experienced team leader.
- Strong people management skills, interest in mentoring and cultivating leadership skills in junior staff.
- Knowledge of and proficiency with a variety of computer software applications including Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Able to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment while juggling and coordinating multiple projects and deadlines.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- Ability to operate independently with moderate supervision.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title Director Community Schools in the subject line of the email. No phone calls or faxes accepted.
United Way of New York City is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Application Deadline: September 16, 2016
Start Date: October 17, 2016