Intensive cohort training for organizations interested in building equitable practice
Has your organization been assessing or re-assessing its approaches to better achieve racial equity? Are you interested in deepening your critical analysis of inequity and building more equitable models of practice?
Race continues to play a defining role in our personal and our community’s trajectory, goals, experiences and outcomes. As grantmakers working to tackle inequality, it is important that we build a shared understanding and a set of tools to speak openly about racial bias and inequity, and their deep roots in our history, culture and institutions.
In partnership with Race Forward and True North EDI, Philanthropy New York created Leading With Race Equity: Building Stronger Culture and Practice, a four-month peer cohort learning experience designed to help foundation leaders gain the tools and resources to work towards racial equity in both internal and external organizational work.
The program is designed to cumulatively build skills and knowledge. Participants must commit to attending:
- One (1) full-day interactive training hosted by Race Forward, followed by
- Four (4) half-day workshops that combine coaching and peer learning to develop and hone new practices
The goal of this training is to help you address racial inequity both internally and externally:
- Internally – To refocus the economic impact of your organizations, in hiring, talent management, vendor selection, and investment management, among other considerations
- Externally – To examine and refine your grantmaking, strategy creation, and evaluation practices to ensure equitable outcomes for people and communities of color
Upon completing the training and workshops, you will be better able to:
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of key concepts such as implicit bias, racial equity, and structural racism;
- Identify racialized narratives that currently inform decision-making and affect grant-making strategy;
- Discuss race, inclusion, and culture constructively within your organizations and with your constituents;
- Develop and apply tools and practices for counteracting racial bias in your work and practices;
- Identify opportunities and next steps for applying concepts and strategies to advance racial equity inside your organization and within your grantmaking practice; and
- Collaborate and practice with peers to implement those strategies within your organizations.
Leading With Race Equity is open to Philanthropy New York members only We encourage staff from both the operational and grantmaking sides of the foundation to apply as cross-departmental teams. Greater consideration will be given to pairs or teams who influence and oversee some level of change within an organization’s culture or grantmaking portfolio. We consider allowing three members of an organization to attend if the third member is a trustee.
We plan to offer another cycle of Leading with Race Equity toward the end of 2022. Please reach out to Yi-Ching Lin, Vice President, Learning Services, to indicate interest in the next cohort.