*This program is hosted by our partner, Funders' Committee for Civic Participation (FCCP), who has extended an invitation to PNY members. Space is limited and will be granted on a first come, first served basis.*
Join Ethan Frey of Ford Foundation, Nick Chedli Carter of 2020 Vision Ventures, and Julie Fernandes of Rockefeller Family Fund for a discussion of relational organizing practice and power building strategy.
Relational organizing is not a new concept. But, it has “emerged” in recent years as a response to the highly centralized, command-and-control paid canvas models that are widespread in the civic engagement field. At the same time, rapid changes in communications and organizing technology are providing opportunities and challenges to the field. Many community organizing groups and social movement organizations are running highly cost-efficient civic engagement programs with high volumes of voter outreach, yet the communities they represent continue to be largely politically powerless. Despite the increasingly evident shortcomings with this transactional model, much of the progressive civic engagement infrastructure remains focused on tweaking the relative efficiency of tactical methods, rather than on ways to empower local organizations rooted in communities to reach those often excluded by traditional GOTV tactics, including voters of color and low-income voters, to build durable movements that result in transformative outcomes. Funders, and the frameworks we impose, have a lot to do with this. But there is a different way: focus on relationships.
- Opportunities to achieve scale and impact in 2019 and 2020
- Powerful potential of relational organizing and share immediate opportunities to get more involved
- How funders have promoted and can continue to promote reforms
- Nick Chedli-Carter, Managing Director, 2020 Vision Ventures
- Julie Fernandes, Associate Director for Institutional Accountability and Individual Liberty, Rockefeller Family Fund
- Ethan Frey, Program Officer, Ford Foundation
All interested funders.
Registration is required by May 5th.
Members and Non-Member Funders: Please click on the "Register Now" link above to join.
Please email email@example.com with any questions.