*This program is hosted by our partner, the Center for Disaster Philanthropy (CDP), who has extended an invitation to PNY members. Space is limited and will be granted on a first come, first served basis.*
Each year, millions of philanthropic dollars are distributed to thousands of organizations across the charitable sector in the U.S. and other countries in response to disasters and humanitarian crises worldwide. This funding is dwarfed by the billions of dollars invested by governments. To help understand where funding comes from and how the dollars are used, the Center for Disaster Philanthropy (CDP) and Candid produce the annual Measuring the State of Disaster Philanthropy report. This report also examines how much funding addresses immediate relief, long-term recovery, preparedness and disaster risk reduction.
On Nov. 17, the Center for Disaster Philanthropy (CDP) and Candid will host a webinar to highlight findings from the forthcoming 2022 Measuring the State of Disaster Philanthropy report. Speakers will share insights into the philanthropic and governmental response to disasters that occurred in 2020 such as the record-breaking Atlantic hurricane season, Cyclone Amphan, Puerto Rico’s earthquake swarm and Australia’s “Black Summer” wildfires of 2019-2020. They will explore the huge difference between typical year-to-year disaster funding and the unusual impact of COVID-19 on philanthropic giving.
What will you learn?
At the end of the webinar, funderS will have an:
- Increased awareness of disaster funding activities and issues.
- Understanding of how COVID-19 and the increasing pace of natural disasters have changed donors’ thinking about disaster giving.
- Awareness of how disasters, especially COVID-19, impact grief and mental health.
Who should attend?
While aimed at funders, this webinar may also be helpful for community organizations, government staff and political and faith leaders looking to understand the scope and scale of disaster funding.
- Vicky Jay, CEO, National Alliance for Children's Grief
- Elaine Martyn, Senior Vice President, Private Donor Group, Fidelity Charitable®
- Grace Sato, Director of Research, Candid
- Tanya Gulliver-Garcia (Moderator), Director of Learning and Partnerships, Center for Disaster Philanthropy
How do you sign up?
Registration is required by November 16th.
Members and Non-Member Funders: Please click on the "Register Now" link above. Webinar information will be emailed to you before the webinar.
Please note: To ensure fairness among our members, we reserve the right to limit the number of attendees per organization for select professional development programs.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
In collaboration with