With the November 2018 elections looming, we are seeing a wide range of individuals who are running for elected office at all levels of government and from different walks of life.
Come join us for a conversation with Sayu Bhojwani, Founder and President of New American Leaders and author of People Like Us: A New Wave of Candidates Knocking at Democracy’s Door, who has been seeing this trend emerge over the recent years. New American Leaders especially has played a big part in encouraging and training candidates from immigrant backgrounds to run for office.
In addition from hearing from Sayu, several of those who have been trained and have run for office also will be with us.
- The challenges facing candidates with no political experience or their own wealth in running for political office
- Philanthropy’s responsibility to support the development of a new cadre of political leadership
- Barriers for funders in supporting nonprofit leaders in running for public office
- The interplay between nonprofits, leadership development, and democracy
- Evan Bacalao, Program Officer, Special Initiatives and Partnerships, Open Society Foundations
- Sayu Bhojwani, Founder and President, New American Leaders
- Geri Mannion, Program Director, US Democracy & Special Operations Fund, Carnegie Corporation of New York
- Sam Park, Member, House of Representatives from the 101st District, Georgia
- Athena Salman, Member, House of Representatives from the 26th District, Arizona
- Trellis Stepter (Moderator), Program Officer, Mertz Gilmore Foundation
*Copies and book signings of Sayu Bhojwani’s People Like Us: A New Wave of Candidates Knocking at Democracy’s Door will be made available at the program. First come, first served.
All interested funders.
12:00 - 12:15 PM Check-in and Lunch
12:15 - 2:00 PM Program
Registration is required by September 24th.
Members: To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above. (no fee)
Guests of Organizers: Please email email@example.com with your name, title, organizational affiliation, business mailing address, and phone number. Please indicate by which organizer you were invited. (no fee)
Non-Member Funders: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. ($150 fee)
Please note: To ensure fairness among our members, we reserve the right to limit the number of attendees per organization for select professional development programs.
Please email email@example.com with any questions.