Journalism can be a powerful tool and information source for funders seeking to amplify the causes they are investing in. Over the last several years, philanthropic support for nonprofit journalism and independent editorial content has been on the rise. In 2018, a report by the Institute for Nonprofit News found that the nonprofit news sector receives nearly $350 million in total annual revenue, of which 57% of it came from foundations.
But how can funders evaluate these investments, consider investment in media alongside other programmatic grants, and better understand if they are indeed amplifying and accelerating results? Join us as we learn about the latest measurement tracking tools for doing so, and, moreover, how journalism can help shape the broader public conversation around specific topics and help spark real-world change.
- The ways funders are investing in journalism to address knowledge gaps, gain a larger share of a voice, and create social change
- Tensions that may rise between the nonprofit news sector and philanthropy
- The suite of tools available to newsrooms of all sizes for tracking reach and engagement, both on- and off-platform
- How to construct a media impact framework to set measures for success and maximize impact
- Farai Chideya, Program Officer, Creativity and Free Expression, Ford Foundation
- Lindsay Green-Barber, Founder & CEO, The Impact Architects
- Dave Kapell, Consultant, Rauch Foundation
- Christa Scharfenberg, CEO, Center for Investigative Reporting
- Rachel White, President, TheGuardian.org
- Patricia Schaefer (Moderator), Managing Director, Rauch Foundation
All interested funders
8:45 AM - 9:00 AM Check-in
9:00 AM - 11:00 AM Program
Registration is required by May 8th.
PNY Members: To register yourself or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above.
Non-Member Funders: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, title, organizational affiliation, business mailing address, and phone number. Please indicate by whom you were invited. ($150 fee)
Please note: To ensure fairness among our members, we reserve the right to limit the number of attendees per organization for select professional development programs.
Please email email@example.com with any questions.