Public funding of the workforce system has declined significantly over the past twenty years. Further reductions for the Workforce Investment Opportunity Act (WIOA) are anticipated in next year and in future years. Yet despite the low unemployment rate, high-quality workforce services remain critical for a broad range of low-income populations to gain access to a rapidly changing labor market. The de Blasio Administration has not made the workforce issue a priority, despite the Career Pathways and New York Works reports. The City of New York’s workforce strategy remains fragmented, City-centric and underfunded.
In the second of two sessions, the focus will be on exploring how the City of New York can develop a more coherent New York City workforce strategy, both publicly and philanthropically supported. The December 13th Quarterly meeting will examine how effective the City’s workforce system has been in adopting the recommendations of the Re-Envisioning the New York City Workforce System report. The session will include an update on a Strategic Review and Agenda for New York City ‘s workforce “system” —commissioned by the Workforce Funders and conducted by WPTI’s Field Building Hub—a panel of workforce experts, and a response from a representative for the City of New York.
- Plinio Ayala, President and CEO, Per Scholas
- Steven Dawson, Senior Advisor, Workforce Professionals Training Institute
- David Fischer, Executive Director, NYC Center for Youth Employment
- Dianne Morales, Executive Director and CEO, Phipps Neighborhoods
- Paul Ortega, Founder, President and CEO, Semper Fidelis Young Adult Leadership Academy and Motivation Check
- Sandi Vito, Executive Director, 1199 SEIU Training and Employment Funds
- Stacy Woodruff, Director, Field Building Hub, Workforce Professionals Training Institute
- Patricia Jenny (Moderator), Vice President for Grants, New York Community Trust
All interested funders.
8:45 - 9:00 AM Check-in
9:00 - 11:00 AM Program
Registration is required by December12.
Members: To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above. (no fee)
Guests of NYC Workforce Funders: Please email email@example.com with your name, title, organizational affiliation, business mailing address, and phone number. Please indicate by which organizer you were invited. (no fee)
Non-Member Funders: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org ($150 fee)