Thursday, June 25, 2015 -
2:45pm to 5:00pm EDT
Open Society Foundations, 224 West 57th Street, New York, NY 10019
Members of PNY & Partner Orgs:
Add to Calendar
Missed the session? View recording here.
On virtually every street corner in the city sits a nail salon, a burgeoning industry that glamorizes the fingertips of half the City’s residents. And behind the glam are women who most often are paid less than the cost of the bottle of nail polish for a 12 hour day. For their labor, they gain respiratory infections and miscarriages. While recent public attention has focused on NYC leading to new rules governing the nail salon industry, what happens in NY should not stay in New York. This is a classic tale, updated at the crossroads of immigration, worker rights, reproductive and environmental justice.
This session examines work on the ground at the local and national levels that positions nail salon workers nationally to bring together a cross section of the most important issues of our day. Join us in exploring the complexities of a wage caste system unprotected by U.S. labor laws, with environmental toxins amidst an industry of predominantly immigrant family owned businesses.
- An intersectional frame that connects immigrant rights, women’s economic security, environmental justice and worker safety to low wage workers rights
- A local organization that was instrumental in the recent attention for nail salon workers
- Thenational campaign for Healthy Nail Salon workers
- How nail salon and other personal care workers are part of the larger care movement
- Patricia Eng, Vice President, New York Women’s Foundation
- Aleyamma Mathew, Director, Women’s Economic Justice, Ms. Foundation for Women
- Luna Ranjit, Executive Director, Adhikaar ; Co-leader, New York Healthy Nail Salons Coalition
- Miriam Yeung, Executive Director, National Asian Pacific American Women’s Forum
All interested funders.
2:45 PM - 3:00 PM Check-in
3:00 PM - 5:00 PM Program
Registration is required by June 23rd.
Members: To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above. (no fee)
Guests of Organizers: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, title, organizational affiliation, business mailing address, and phone number. Please indicate by which organizer you were invited. (no fee)
Non-Member Funders: Please email email@example.com ($150 fee)
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.