If you are a non-member funder and are interested in attending, please email email@example.com.
Disasters, by definition, are unplanned and generally unpredictable, but disaster-related giving should be anything but haphazard. Time and again, we see funders coming together in the aftermath of catastrophic events such as Hurricane Harvey, and while these efforts provide much-needed immediate relief, the media attention and donations often dry out well before the long-term recovery needs are addressed. When equipped with the right knowledge and data, however, philanthropists are better able to coordinate and make strategic decisions, ultimately resulting in more effective disaster philanthropy and assistance.
Join the Center for Disaster Philanthropy and Foundation Center, in partnership with Philanthropy New York, for an interactive, engaging dialogue about the disaster lifecycle; the respective roles and needs of funders and implementing organizations related to disasters; and, ultimately, how funders can use data to be more strategic in their disaster-related giving. We’ll also share recent findings from the fourth edition of the annual Measuring the State of Disaster Philanthropy 2017: Data to Drive Decisions report, set to launch the same week.
This event will include lunch and is underwritten by the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation.
- What strategic disaster philanthropy looks like
- What roles foundations can play before, during, and after disasters
- Why this knowledge is important for all foundations, regardless of your specific area of focus
- How foundations can use State of Disaster Philanthropy tools to be more effective
- Robert Ottenhoff, President and CEO, Center for Disaster Philanthropy
- Betsy Dubovsky, Executive Director, The Staten Island Foundation
- Joe Ruiz, Director Humanitarian Relief & Resilience Program, The UPS Foundation
- Karen Smith, Business Partnership Advisor- Private Sector Section, United Nations
- Ronna Brown (Moderator), President, Philanthropy New York
All interested funders.
8:45 - 9:00 AM Check-in
9:00 AM - 12:00 PM Program
12:00 - 1:00 PM Networking Lunch
Registration is required by October 24.
Members: To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above.
Non-Member Funders: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to register for this program.
Please email email@example.com with any questions.