We invite you to join Media Impact Funders and Philanthropy New York for a special screening and discussion of the powerful film Newtown and a conversation about the increasing need to take a public health approach to curbing gun violence in America.
The documentary, which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival this year, follows the community of Newtown, Connecticut, in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting on December 14, 2012, that left 20 children and six teachers dead. Newtown is a gripping exploration into a community’s profound grief and what happens after it becomes the center of a national debate around gun violence. This is a special opportunity for funders to preview the film before its national broadcast on PBS Independent Lens in the spring.
With more than 100,000 Americans injured or killed by guns every year, experts on gun violence have called for nothing short of a comprehensive public health approach to addressing this growing epidemic. We'll screen the film and moderate a discussion afterward. A reception with light fare will follow.
- The public health impact of gun violence
- The role funders can play in gun violence prevention
- The power of documentaries in shifting public debates
- The role independent filmmakers play in fostering greater understanding of the human condition
- Dr. William Begg, film subject & Vice Chairman of Emergency Medicine, Danbury & New Milford Hospitals
- Maria Cuomo Cole, Producer, Newtown
- Kim Snyder, Filmmaker, Newtown
- Nina Vinik, Program Director, Gun Violence Prevention, The Joyce Foundation
- Vince Stehle (Moderator), Executive Director, Media Impact Funders
3:45- 4:00 PM Check-in
4:00 - 6:30 AM Program & Reception
Registration is required by November 15th.
PNY Members: To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above.
Media Impact Funders Members: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, title, organizational affiliation and business mailing address to register. (no fee)
In collaboration with