The New York City’s older adult population has grown rapidly in recent years both in size and diversity. New York City now has more people over the age of 65 than children ages 10 or younger. Since 1965, the growth in the population over 65 has mostly come from the increase in immigration. In addition, the long-term changes in the economy that accelerated with the 2008-2011 recession have significantly impacted many adults over 50. The growth in size and diversity of older New Yorkers has serious implications for service delivery. Age discrimination makes it harder for older individuals, especially women to be hired into new jobs. Unfortunately, too little emphasis is placed on developing new customized workforce strategies for assisting older New Yorkers to enter and advance in an increasingly competitive economy.
- The demographic data on the older population in New York City
- New training and entrepreneurship options for various groups of older New Yorkers
- Jonathan Bowles, Executive Director, Center for an Urban Future
- Angelina Drake, COO, PHI
- Christian Gonzalez-Rivera, Senior Researcher, Center for an Urban Future
- Brigid Lang, Executive Director,Grace Institute
- Muzzy Rosenblatt, CEO and President, Bowery Residents Committee
- Shaolee Sen, Executive Director, Hot Bread Kitchen
- Patricia Jenny (Moderator), Vice President for Grants, New York Community Trust
Panel Still Forming
All interested funders.
8:45 - 9:00 AM Check-in
9:00 - 11:00 AM Program
Registration is required by December 11.
Members: To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above. (no fee)
Guests of NYC Workforce Funders: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, title, organizational affiliation, business mailing address, and phone number. Please indicate by which organizer you were invited. (no fee)
Non-Member Funders: Please email email@example.com. ($150 fee)
Please note: To ensure fairness among our members, we reserve the right to limit the number of attendees per organization for select professional development programs.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.