We all know how important the census is:
- The Census is mandated by the US Constitution for the purpose of determining congressional districts
- The Census is the basis for determining financial and other resources for dozens of government programs
- The Census is the source of crucial demographic data such as unemployment rates, poverty rates, crime statistics, and much, much more.
What is philanthropy’s role in ensuring that the 2020 Census is adequately resourced, equitably deployed, and capable of generating accurate and reliable information? When funders supported community outreach efforts in 2010, those communities where there were targeted outreach efforts saw response rates increased between 6 and 21 percent. That translates to millions of government dollars directed to communities what would have been undercounted.
Philanthropy New York is hosting the second meeting of the 2020 Census Funders Work Group on Monday, November 20.
This gathering will give funders of all programmatic interests an opportunity to hear from colleagues about local efforts to ensure a full and fair count, as well as the initiatives that are taking place in other locations around the country that might serve as learning opportunities. Joining by teleconference, Minnesota Council on Foundation's Bob Tracy will brief our funders on the ongoing efforts to support funders of Census 2020 outreach in his region, including the Census Business Round Table.
***For Funders Not Able to Attend in Person***
If you are a funder interested in Census 2020 issues but can't make it to Times Square, we welcome participation by phone. If you would like to join by teleconference, please register for the program and then email email@example.com to receive call-in information.
- Sol Marie Alfonso-Jones, Senior Program Officer, Long Island Community Foundation
- Maria Mottola, Executive Director, New York Foundation
- Patricia Swann, Senior Program Officer, Community Development & the Environment, New York Community Trust
- Bob Tracy, Director of Public Policy and Communications, Minnesota Council on Foundations
All interested funders.
3:15 - 3:30 PM Check-in
3:30 - 5:00 PM Program
Registration is required by November 19th
Members: To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above.
Non-Member Funders: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please email email@example.com with any questions.