Funders working globally face competing demands to deliver program results while helping their NGO partners achieve sustainable, lasting impact at depth and scale. Doing both well demands more than program-specific investments. Strengthening the organizational capacity is essential to the long-term success and impact of civil society around the world.
Capacity Building Across Borders, a new report written by Synergos and commissioned by the Citi Foundation, explores how funders (and their NGO partners) can build NGO capacity more effectively, or perhaps start it for the first time. Drawing upon more than 50 interviews with leaders from both funders and civil society groups in 23 countries, the report surfaces some of the most salient considerations for making capacity building work more meaningful and impactful.
- How funders can start by looking inward and align the organization’s values and practices with your capacity building goals
- How to listen to NGO partners with humility and trust
- Why understanding the ecosystem that your NGO partners operate in is critical to success
- Power dynamics in funder-NGO relations and finding ways to acknowledge and rebalance them
- Hope Lyons, Director of Program Management, Rockefeller Brothers Fund
- Dorothy Stuehmke, Senior Program Officer, Citi Foundation
- Ferne Mele, Director, Synergos (report co-author)
- Connor Diemand-Yauman, CEO, Philanthropy University
- Leah Bradford Francis (Moderator), Managing Director, Synergos Consulting Services
All interested funders, especially those funding internationally
Registration is required by February 27.
Registrants will receive the webinar link a day prior to the program
Members: To register yourself and/or a colleague at your organization, please log in and click the Register Now link above. (no fee)
Guests of Co-Sponsors: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, title, organizational affiliation, business mailing address, and phone number. Please indicate by which organizer you were invited.
Non-Member Funders: Please email email@example.com ($150 fee).
Please note: To ensure fairness among our members, we reserve the right to limit the number of attendees per organization for select professional development programs.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.