In March 2018, McKesson Corporation announced the formation of the independent Foundation for Opioid Response Efforts, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to combatting the opioid crisis in the United States. The foundation’s leadership and board of directors will identify meaningful ways to help impact the crisis. This could include, but is not limited to: education of patients, caregivers, and providers; opioid research; and increased access to life-saving and dependence treatments. McKesson has committed $100 million to the foundation as part of its ongoing mission of delivering better care for patients.
Reporting to the President, the Vice President, Finance & Administration (VP, F&A) is responsible for the development of FORE’s operations, including financial management strategy, administrative functions, grants management, communications, and technology. The VP, F&A works with the President to set the annual budget, develop and implement policies and procedures for both finance and general operations, and support the President in strategic planning. The VP, F&A also provides leadership, supervision and support to other staff and contractors as necessary. This is a multifaceted position, with responsibility for providing overall direction for all activities related to administration, grants management, human resources: talent, benefits and training, for physical plant, information systems, office management, and security.
Management and Administration
The VP, F&A is responsible for maintaining office systems, equipment, business insurance coverage, business continuity plans, and all office procedures that enable staff to work productively, and for fostering a spirit of cooperation and teamwork throughout the organization. Specific office management responsibilities include the following:
• Provide daily management of the office
• Implement a system of financial and personnel policies, procedures, and standards, including staff training
• Purchase and control of office furniture, equipment and supplies, postage, mail and messenger services
• Supervise the IT contract and contractors, website contract and contractors and communication contract and contractors
• Engage in risk management, including business continuity planning, insurance needs, and other risk assessments
• Manage business insurance coverage working closely with brokers to ensure that FORE is adequately insured in all areas
• Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
• Establish and monitor the staff performance review process, and administers salary adjustments
• Mentor and develop all staff as needed using a supportive and collaborative approach
• Ensure staff members receive timely and appropriate training and development.
The VP, F&A is responsible for managing FORE’s accounting and financial systems with expert support from contractors and advisors. Specific financial management responsibilities include the following:
• Create the accounting systems and chart of accounts
• Identify accounting support and an auditor
• Prepare annual Budgets and forecasts, monitor and report throughout the year
• Advise the President and other staff on financial planning, budgeting, cash flow, and policy matters
• Supervise and be responsive to requests from the accountant and auditors
• Lead staff through quarterly review of financials
• Collaborate with and oversee the work of the accountant
• When endowment is moved to FORE, work with President to determine management structure
• Manage the 990 and audit processes
• Serve as management liaison to the Board, Audit Committee and other Board committees
• Communicate and present critical financial matters at Board and committee meetings.
The VP, F&A is the administrative and financial manager of all grants at FORE. He/she exercises considerable independent judgment to ensure that generally accepted accounting, financial, and foundation management principles are being followed in all aspects of FORE’s work. The VP, F&A is responsible for developing and implementing systems and procedures that facilitate efficient execution of program staff’s work.
• Manage grant evaluation processes and help to create organizational performance measurement framework.
• Review budgets for new grants following established guidelines and completeness all documentation required for new grants (i.e., tax papers, final proposal, resumes).
• Develop standard terms and conditions for grant award letters, agreements and contracts. Develop and maintain templates for standard grant correspondence.
• Manage disbursement of grant payments: provide final review of all payments.
• Manage reconciliation of the grants management system of accounting of grant payment activities with the General Ledger maintained by the accountant on a quarterly basis.
• Supervise central grant records and ensure the integrity of each grant record.
• Train new program staff in the Fund’s grants management systems and procedures.
• Oversee FORE’s grants information system. Ensure that all staff are trained on its use.
• Design and generate routine and ad hoc reports on all aspects of the grant process.
• Monitor payout requirements; prepare projections of grant payments and identify grants for prepayment when necessary.
Human Resources Management
The VP, F&A manages and provides the guidance and support for all human resources activities including:
• Prepare and update job descriptions
• Handle recruiting efforts
• Create, maintain and update policies and procedures, assuring observance of the stated policies
• Conduct staff orientation and training
• Develop and schedule staff training programs on an annual basis
• Create and implement a staff review process
• Participate in and conduct compensation surveys
• Manage the annual salary review process
• Monitor and maintain necessary confidential employee records
• Handle counseling on performance
• Identify and negotiate medical and dental, disability, life, travel and other employee insurance policies
• Assist staff on personal issues relating to benefits and insurance claims
• Process payroll
• Manage the defined contribution retirement plan
• Work closely with the President and other staff, provide guidance to the communications contractors
• Oversee all communications and marketing strategies
• Oversee website development and maintenance
College degree required, MBA or MPA preferred. 8-10 years of experience in a general management position, foundation experience is a plus. Must be experienced in negotiating and managing business and service contracts (insurance, legal, equipment, cleaning, electrical, etc.) and have experience with outsourcing and managing a range of office systems and vendors. Candidate must have experience developing and controlling budgets (operating and capital) and should be familiar with office equipment, including network systems, telecommunications and Internet services. Experience with grants or contract administration and systems management, preferably in a foundation, a nonprofit organization, a university, or a hospital grants or contracts office. Candidate must have extensive management experience. Proven human resources experience, including benefits administration, preparation of job descriptions, strong recruiting ability, knowledge of employment regulations and requirements. National HR certification is a plus. Commitment to FORE’s mission is absolutely necessary.
Strong leadership and management skills and ability to convey best practices to staff. Ability to supervise staff, set priorities and work with a minimum of supervision. Ability to work effectively in a team environment, to work well with all levels of staff and to think creatively. Strong coordination and project management skills. Excellent written and oral communication skills. Well organized and efficient with concern for details, accuracy and deadlines.
FORE has a small staff, so judgment, integrity, and the ability to listen with sensitivity to others are traits that are particularly important in an organization of its size, where teamwork is essential to effectiveness. The ability to work collegially and to have an interest in and strong commitment to FORE’s mission are key qualifications.
Commensurate with background and experience.
This position is located at FORE’s offices in midtown Manhattan, New York City.
Send resume and cover letter via e-mail to: Jobs@forefdn.org
Employment at The Foundation for Opioid Response Efforts is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual preference, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, medical condition, disability, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.