BDO’s Core Purpose is Helping People Thrive Every Day. Our Core Values reflect how we manage our work, our relationships and ourselves. As an employee of the firm, you will live true to our Core Values of people first, being exceptional every day in every way, embracing change, feeling empowered through knowledge, and choosing accountability. Our Core Values are the standards by which we conduct ourselves day in and day out, both internally and externally.
BDO FMA is a growth-oriented management consulting practice dedicated to building the capacity of the nonprofit sector. We partner with our nonprofit and philanthropic clients to help them attain operational excellence, ensure financial sustainability and effectively achieve their desired impact. Our collaborative approach includes client input and involvement at each stage of an engagement.
As a Senior Manager in the BDO FMA practice, you will provide professional services that are sensitive to the needs and values of both nonprofit organizations and funders that support them. You will also have opportunities to develop and refine the services we currently offer. In addition to working with funders as clients, you will work directly with on-the-ground nonprofits to help them build their finance and infrastructure capacity. We recognize how important our work with nonprofits is in ensuring our services for funders are informed by current grantee realities.
Nationwide: As there are several cities listed within this job description, we would consider candidates nationwide.
Responsibilities vary based on engagements and client needs and require an independent and multi-talented professional with deep experience in philanthropic finance and operations, change management experience and a consulting mindset.
Duties may include any of the following:
- Leads complex client projects in accordance with the BDO FMA approach to service delivery
- Primarily participates in and lead funder engagements such as:
- Analyzing current processes, systems, and procedures and making recommendations to ensure best practices while keeping abreast of changing regulatory environments
- Co-developing critical infrastructure systems and processes including grants management, accounting, investments and operations
- Training and coaching staff on finance and infrastructure
- Leads and participates in similar nonprofit engagements
- Ensures quality of project deliverables.
- Evaluates performance on client engagements.
Business and Relationship Development
- Leads national business development efforts including designing engagements, writing proposals and closing new projects.
- Co-develops tools and collateral materials for business development with Marketing support.
- Deepens partnerships with philanthropy-serving organizations (PSOs) and other intermediaries for business development, thought leadership opportunities and product development.
- Develops and maintain current and new client relationships, including relationships with foundations, collaborative partner organizations, and direct service providers, leading to successful business engagements.
- Facilitates and contribute to internal processes to support Philanthropic Services’ business development.
Practice and Product Development
- Actively engages with team to refine the Philanthropic Services product development strategy.
- Contributes to ongoing development of existing Philanthropic Services products.
- Identifies opportunities, advocate for new products/services, and lead their development.
- Pursues ways to make engagements more efficient and productive
- Maintains ongoing knowledge of key developments and act as subject matter expert in areas over which interested and experienced
- Monitors key performance indicators
- Leads efforts to support skill building of colleagues to provide effective infrastructure support to grantmaking organizations
- Maintains ongoing knowledge of key developments within the philanthropic sector and act as subject matter expert
- Directly supervise colleagues on projects
- Participates in recruiting and onboarding activities
Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree, required
- Master’s Degree in Philanthropy, Nonprofit, Business, or Public Administration, preferred
- Eight or more years of progressive experience performing or overseeing finance, operations, and grants management at a grantmaking organization or professional services firm with grantmaking clients, required
- Proven success leading change management initiatives, required
- Experience with accounting systems and nonprofit accounting principles, required
- Track record of effective facilitation and/or training, preferred
- Experience with 501(c)(4) grantmaking or operations, preferred
- Experience at nonprofit organizations, preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel and Power Point, required
Other Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Effective project management skills (on time and on budget delivery)
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills – and effectively lead cross collaboration efforts
- Demonstrated creative, critical and strategic thinking in past positions
- Ability to travel
**Please be sure to submit a cover letter with your application**